Mailing List Archive

Roundcube <-> DBMail
Hello everybody.

I’m glad we have first working implementation of the RoundCube plugin to hook directly into DBMail database instead of passing through the IMAP daemon.

From our test the speed improvement, especially on large mailboxes, is very relevant.

This the first implementation thus:
It only support MySQL as the DBMail backend (we need help on that because we don’t have any pgSQL setup to try — actually maybe it just works, since we don’t use fancy queries!)
I don’t think it support the RoundCube "Threaded” view
Doesn’t use RoundCube internal Cache - yet is a lot faster than IMAP with Caching. We’ll start implementing the cache algorithms in the next days.

The code is pretty rough right now with many piece of code repeated, we’ll clean it up in the next days.

Please give it a test - possibly on a clean RoundCube install (with latest version) - and let us know of any problem.

The repository can be found at https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail <https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail>

You just need to drop the rcube_dbmail.php file at the correct place and enable it in the config.

PLEASE check your pear mime version as round cube ships with a broken one (we’re opening a ticket on this).

Have fun.

-------
Andrea Brancatelli
Schema 31 S.p.a.
Responsabile IT

ROMA - FIRENZE - PALERMO
ITALY
Tel: +39. 06.98.358.472
Cell: +39 331.2488468
Fax: +39. 055.71.880.466
Società del Gruppo SC31 ITALIA
Re: Roundcube <-> DBMail [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrea,

really nice work. I hopefully could try it out this or next week ;-)

regards,

Harald

Am 03.08.2015 um 17:08 schrieb Andrea Brancatelli:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I’m glad we have first working implementation of the RoundCube plugin to
> hook directly into DBMail database instead of passing through the IMAP
> daemon.
>
> From our test the speed improvement, especially on large mailboxes, is
> very relevant.
>
> This the first implementation thus:
>
> * It only support MySQL as the DBMail backend (we need help on that
> because we don’t have any pgSQL setup to try — actually maybe it
> just works, since we don’t use fancy queries!)
> * I don’t think it support the RoundCube "Threaded” view
> * Doesn’t use RoundCube internal Cache - yet is a lot faster than IMAP
> with Caching. We’ll start implementing the cache algorithms in the
> next days.
>

> The code is pretty rough right now with many piece of code repeated,
> we’ll clean it up in the next days.
>
> Please give it a test - possibly on a clean RoundCube install (with
> latest version) - and let us know of any problem.
>
> The repository can be found at https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail
>
> You just need to drop the rcube_dbmail.php file at the correct place and
> enable it in the config.
>
> *PLEASE check your pear mime version as round cube ships with a broken
> one* (we’re opening a ticket on this).
>

> Have fun.
>

> -------
>
> *Andrea Brancatelli*
>
> *Schema 31 S.p.a. Responsabile IT
> * ROMA - FIRENZE - PALERMO ITALY Tel: +39. 06.98.358.472 Cell: +39
> 331.2488468 Fax: +39. 055.71.880.466 Società del Gruppo *SC31 ITALIA*

Harald Leithner

ITronic
Wiedner Hauptstraße 120/5.1, 1050 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43-1-545 0 604
Mobil: +43-699-123 78 4 78
Mail: leithner@itronic.at | itronic.at
Re: Roundcube <-> DBMail [ In reply to ]
Hi Harald,

did you try it?

This week we'll focus on enabling message-cache, which will speed up the
things even more, especially with message indexing.

Il 2015-08-10 10:01 Harald Leithner ha scritto:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> really nice work. I hopefully could try it out this or next week ;-)
>
> regards,
>
> Harald
>
> Am 03.08.2015 um 17:08 schrieb Andrea Brancatelli:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I'm glad we have first working implementation of the RoundCube plugin to
>> hook directly into DBMail database instead of passing through the IMAP
>> daemon.
>>
>> From our test the speed improvement, especially on large mailboxes, is
>> very relevant.
>>
>> This the first implementation thus:
>>
>> * It only support MySQL as the DBMail backend (we need help on that
>> because we don't have any pgSQL setup to try -- actually maybe it
>> just works, since we don't use fancy queries!)
>> * I don't think it support the RoundCube "Threaded" view
>> * Doesn't use RoundCube internal Cache - yet is a lot faster than IMAP
>> with Caching. We'll start implementing the cache algorithms in the
>> next days.
>>
>> The code is pretty rough right now with many piece of code repeated,
>> we'll clean it up in the next days.
>>
>> Please give it a test - possibly on a clean RoundCube install (with
>> latest version) - and let us know of any problem.
>>
>> The repository can be found at https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail [1]
>>
>> You just need to drop the rcube_dbmail.php file at the correct place and
>> enable it in the config.
>>
>> *PLEASE check your pear mime version as round cube ships with a broken
>> one* (we're opening a ticket on this).
>>
>> Have fun.
>>
>> -------
>>
>> *Andrea Brancatelli*
>>
>> *Schema 31 S.p.a. Responsabile IT
>> * ROMA - FIRENZE - PALERMO ITALY Tel: +39. 06.98.358.472 Cell: +39
>> 331.2488468 Fax: +39. 055.71.880.466 Società del Gruppo *SC31 ITALIA*

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/skeyby/roundcube-dbmail
Re: Roundcube <-> DBMail [ In reply to ]
Hi,

sorry I have some other work to do, so I'm unable to test at the moment.

regards,

Harald