Mailing List Archive

Upgrading from dbmail 2 to dbmail 3
Hello,

unfortunately, I got to my question under a different title no answer.
Therefore, a new attempt, perhaps clearer.

I want of dbmail-2.2.18 update to dbmail-3.2.3. The new version has
been compiled without errors. Now it comes to update the MySQL
database. I found in the sql/mysql/ the following files:

2_1_7-2_2_0.mysql
2_3_5-2_3_6.mysql
migrate_from_1.x_to_2.0_innodb.mysql
2_2-3_0.mysql
2_3_6-3_0_0.mysql
migrate_from_2.0_to_2.2.mysql
2_2_5-2_3_0.mysql
3_0_2-3_1_0.mysql
update_headervalue_01.mysql
2_3_0-2_3_2.mysql
create_tables.mysql
2_3_4-2_3_5.mysql
fix_foreign_keys.mysql

and in sql/mysql/upgrades the files

32001.mysql
32002.mysql
32003.mysql
32004.mysql

Some files, such as 2_1_7-2_2_0.mysql and 2_3_5-2_3_6.mysql is clear
that they do not apply to me. For other files as "create_tables.mysql"
that's not clear. Do I have to eventually run several scripts
sequentially?

In the UPGRADING file is to read:
"Migration of old data is supported through dbmail-util ...".
What does that mean? Do I have to start dbmail-util?

Thanks for the support
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ralph Ballier
Re: Upgrading from dbmail 2 to dbmail 3 [ In reply to ]
Hi.

Am 04.05.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Ralph Ballier:

> 2_1_7-2_2_0.mysql
> 2_3_5-2_3_6.mysql
> migrate_from_1.x_to_2.0_innodb.mysql
> 2_2-3_0.mysql
> 2_3_6-3_0_0.mysql
> migrate_from_2.0_to_2.2.mysql
> 2_2_5-2_3_0.mysql
> 3_0_2-3_1_0.mysql
> update_headervalue_01.mysql
> 2_3_0-2_3_2.mysql
> create_tables.mysql
> 2_3_4-2_3_5.mysql
> fix_foreign_keys.mysql
>
> and in sql/mysql/upgrades the files
>
> 32001.mysql
> 32002.mysql
> 32003.mysql
> 32004.mysql
>
> Some files, such as 2_1_7-2_2_0.mysql and 2_3_5-2_3_6.mysql is clear
> that they do not apply to me. For other files as "create_tables.mysql"
> that's not clear. Do I have to eventually run several scripts sequentially?
>
> In the UPGRADING file is to read:
> "Migration of old data is supported through dbmail-util ...".
> What does that mean? Do I have to start dbmail-util?

hi.

first: the create_tables script only needs to be run for new installs.
you need to run the ones relevant for your version. I am not too
familiar with the mysql ones (and my upgrade is quite a while ago) but
if you ahve 2.2.18 tzhe 2_2-3_0.mysql and then 3_0_2-3_1_0.mysql should
be what you need.
not sure abou the update_headervalue / fix foreign key ones.

the scripts in sql/mysql/upgrades should be applied automatically once
you have 3.2.

the thing about migrating old data from UPGRADING refers to the
migration from the 2.2.x messageblks to mimeparts.

from dbmail-util -h output:
-M migrate legacy 2.2.x messageblks to mimeparts table
..
-m limit limit migration to [limit] number of physmessages. Default 10000

you need to run that more than once since as you can see it by default
only migrates 10k messages at once (since that does take a while and the
system is usable before all of those are migrated).

Regards,
Thomas R
Re: Upgrading from dbmail 2 to dbmail 3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Thomas,

thanks for the support.

I write now at what I have understood and where I still have problems.

1. I use first: "2_2-3_0.mysql" . This is no problem.

2. The first problem: should I use: "3_0_2-3_1_0.mysql"? Maybe that
should only be applied when someone from 3.0.2 to 3.1.0 upgraded. This
is true but not for me.

3. I do NOT use: "update_headervalue_01.mysql". In the database, there
is already the data type "Text".

4. This is completely unclear: Do I have to apply "fix_foreign_keys.mysql"?
(mysql -u -p dbmail_user dbmail_pass dbmail_db -f <fix_foreign_keys.mysql)
and thereafter
dbmail-util -by?

5. After this, do I have to apply:
dbmail-util -M?
(migrate legacy 2.2.x messageblks to MimePart table)

Thank you very much

Ralph

> [...]

> familiar with the mysql ones (and my upgrade is quite a while ago) but
> if you ahve 2.2.18 tzhe 2_2-3_0.mysql and then 3_0_2-3_1_0.mysql should
> be what you need.
> not sure abou the update_headervalue / fix foreign key ones.
>
> the scripts in sql/mysql/upgrades should be applied automatically once
> you have 3.2.
>
> the thing about migrating old data from UPGRADING refers to the
> migration from the 2.2.x messageblks to mimeparts.
>
> from dbmail-util -h output:
> -M migrate legacy 2.2.x messageblks to mimeparts table
> ..
> -m limit limit migration to [limit] number of physmessages. Default 10000
>
> you need to run that more than once since as you can see it by default
> only migrates 10k messages at once (since that does take a while and the
> system is usable before all of those are migrated).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ralph Ballier