table has become very large and DBA is recommending running optimize table. Then I ran into a thread in dbmail archives that if the table dbmail_headervalue is dropped and recreated then it will get re-populated by running "dbmail-util -by", if that is possible then should we run OPTIMIZE TABLE or just drop and recreate the table.

Also we run "dbmail-util- a -y -vv" every night.

Thank you for your input.

Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
N Sj wrote:
> In our dbmail environment dbmail_headervalue
> table has become very large and DBA is recommending running optimize table. Then I ran into a thread in dbmail archives that if the table dbmail_headervalue is dropped and recreated then it will get re-populated by running "dbmail-util -by", if that is possible then should we run OPTIMIZE TABLE or just drop and recreate the table.

Dropping, re-creating and re-populating the table is a valid procedure.
However, you will end up with the same sized table.

I've blogged about a better approach on blog.dbmail.eu.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl
Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
Paul J Stevens wrote:
> N Sj wrote:
>
>> In our dbmail environment dbmail_headervalue
>> table has become very large and DBA is recommending running optimize table. Then I ran into a thread in dbmail archives that if the table dbmail_headervalue is dropped and recreated then it will get re-populated by running "dbmail-util -by", if that is possible then should we run OPTIMIZE TABLE or just drop and recreate the table.
>>

> Dropping, re-creating and re-populating the table is a valid procedure.
> However, you will end up with the same sized table.
>
> I've blogged about a better approach on blog.dbmail.eu.

I admit to not having read the post on blog.dbmail.eu yet, but the idea
he's aiming for is something faster than OPTIMIZE TABLE dbmail_headervalue;

For which the obvious intent is to use less disc-space. I'm not sure
this will be relevant, but it is his desire. To shrink the size of the
database file itself. And yes, I know that if you delete from the table,
the leftover spots in the file will get re-used.

He may also want to run ANALYZE TABLE, if he hasn't already.

Running both what you recommend (removing the unnecessary cached fields)
and the OPTIMIZE will produce even _better_ results than either by itself.

Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Its a great blog

Did you use "received" header just as an example in the blog, or is it really safe to delete it from the cache, received header has the biggest number in the table, besides that I see a lots of x- headers in the table which I think are safe to remove.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl

Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
On Samstag, 13. Februar 2010 Paul J Stevens wrote:
> I've blogged about a better approach on blog.dbmail.eu.

There's an error, at least for postgresql 8.4:

CREATE VIEW header_count AS
SELECT count(1) AS count, n.id, n.headername
FROM dbmail_headervalue v
LEFT JOIN dbmail_headername n ON v.headername_id=n.id
GROUP BY n.id;

ERROR: column "n.headername" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be
used in an aggregate function

just change the last line to
GROUP BY n.id, n.headername;
and it works.

Also, this delete finds zero records:
DELETE FROM dbmail_headername WHERE headername = 'Received';
but this one works (again postgresql 8.4):
DELETE FROM dbmail_headername WHERE headername = 'received';

To make it a simple copy, here are the most often appearing entries
which probably won't be IMAP SEARCHed:

DELETE FROM dbmail_headername WHERE headername = 'received' or
headername = 'x-virus-scanned' or headername like 'x-spam%';

This deleted more than half of our headervalue entries. Afterwards,
running CLUSTER, REINDEX and VACUUM ANALYZE on the two tables is a good
way to gain performance immediately.
For CLUSTER to work, you'd need to have applied the CLUSTER commands
once that I described on http://dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/performance

I've also put the information from Paul on that page, to keep the
"performance" tips on one page.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services
Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31

// http://zmi.at/langegg/
// http://zmi.at/haus2009/
Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
Reindl,

Tell me, i'm curious to know which headername do you have, can you share?

I'm curious.

Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
Just read what you quoted - the sql result is part of it. :-)

Tell me, i'm curious to know which headername do you have, can you share?

I'm curious.

Reindl Harald (mobile)
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
+43 (676) 40 221 40
http://www.thelounge.net
Re: dbmail_headervalue [ In reply to ]
Oh hum :)

Do you have:

Date
Subject
From
Sent

Question is, the ones that end up with null in the sort column i think are garbage also, am i right? :)"Reindl Harald (mobile)" <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:Just read what you quoted - the sql result is part of it. :-)