Mailing List Archive

SpamCop blacklisting
Just had two rejections when posting via my cable-modem ISP provider's SMTP.

Full text available, but the 'meat' was:

<dbmail-dev@dbmail.org>:
213.214.98.20 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 Service unavailable; [203.83.111.75] blocked using
bl.spamcop.net, reason: Blocked - see
http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?203.83.111.75
Giving up on 213.214.98.20.

In both cases, the same URL was provided:

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=203.83.111.75

Under which 'why ..blacklisted' provided the info that (the DHCP assigned)
IP had been the source of 220 messages in 7 days - )see below).

Gee golly whiz, that is a whole 31.4 messages per day, fewer than *two
outbound messages per hour* of my typical workday! (to the whole world,
not just to your list!)

Sounds like "SpamCop" is a tad overly sensitive and you might want to
discontinue use of it.

Seems the only thing accurate about 'SpamCop' is their own statement:

"This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used in a
production environment where legitimate email must be delivered."

'Nuff said....

Bill Hacker

============================

Query bl.spamcop.net - 203.83.111.75
203.83.111.75 is virgo.i-cable.com
(Help) (Trace IP) (Senderbase lookup)

203.83.111.75 listed in bl.spamcop.net. ( 127.0.0.2 )

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported less than 10
times by less than 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at
least 30.9 days. In the past 411.2 days, it has been listed 9 times for a
total of 5.3 days

* In the past week, this system has: Been witnessed sending mail about
220 times