Mailing List Archive

patches to fix
Hi,
I've noticed a number of people have experienced trouble with dbmail not sending bounces when used with sendmail.

The cause of the problem is that bounce.c doesn't include the recipient in the command line when calling sendmail. AFAIK, this behaviour works with the wrapper scripts that come with qmail, postfix etc. It does not work with sendmail itself though.

There was a workaround posted to the dbmail list which was to use a wrapper script to call sendmail with the -t option. This makes sendmail look for recipients in the email's To, Cc, and Bcc headers.

This fixes the bounce problem, but breaks forwarding, as instead of sending to the forward address, it'll re-send to ALL the original addressees. This is a Very Bad Thing (TM).

I've attached patches for bounce.c, pipe.c which work for dbmail-1.2.1 and the 2.0 snapshot. I can't think of any case where dbmail should be sending a mail without knowing who it's sending the mail to...

This problem also crops up in injector.c but, as far as I can determine, that's obsoleted (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, I included patches to build.sh to use pg_config and mysql_config if available to figure out the build flags - I didn't do this for mylibdir/mylibs since these are combined in the output from mysql_config --libs, and I'm lazy, and I don't use mysql :)

Finally, a patch to install-dbmail.sh to use /usr/sbin/chown if it exists, instead of /bin/chown (FreeBSD keeps it in /usr/sbin...).

I know there's work being done to use configure to do this correctly but, in the meantime, I figured these wouldn't do any harm.

That be all.

-fr.

--
Feargal Reilly,