There will of course be people that don't like this, but they are
able to help us with the sendmail support, etc. when that time comes.

/Magnus
Re: Simplification suggestion [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 05:10:12PM +0200, Magnus Sundberg wrote:
> I have been thinking about a method to simplify the dbmail solution.
> Right now we support two databases, this is a religous question,
> I beleive we have to continue to support two databases.
> We also support two MTAs, sendmail and postfix. I personally run
> sendmail, and have no experience with postfix. But from what I
> have heard from my knowledgable friends, is postfix at least as
> good as sendmail. I beleive we could drop the sendmail support.
>
> Suppose we did, what can we do then?
> We can move the alias expansion to postfix, with mysql/postgresql
> alias lookup.
> We can have a very simple recommended installation.
> There are probably a lot more issues that also can be resolved by
> not reimplenting them.

Dbmail works fine with exim too, and I am having exim do alias expansion
because I prefer to not have dbmail generate new messages.
Dbmail should remain mta agnostic, but of course, there could be a
recommended setup.

xn
RE: Simplification suggestion [ In reply to ]
Magnus Sundberg wrote:
> I beleive we could drop the sendmail support.

Sure, we could do a popularity vote for each MTA and use only the most
popular one, and drop support for anything else? I don't actually use my MTA
(postfix) to deliver mail to dbmail, I use procmail for each user to call
dbmail and insert the messages that way... I think that the advantage of
dbmail is that there's a whole multitude of ways to give it mail, and it
still puts them in a consistent place - the database.

Matt
Re: Simplification suggestion [ In reply to ]
Christian G. Warden wrote:

> Dbmail works fine with exim too, and I am having exim do alias expansion
> because I prefer to not have dbmail generate new messages.
> Dbmail should remain mta agnostic, but of course, there could be a
> recommended setup.

Well it was something along the line about a recommended setup I
was thinking.

/Magnus