Mailing List Archive

Re: [Dbmail] SMTP server for dbmail
OK,
I think I understand what you are aiming for.
But how do I configure my mail clients.
Usually you have your sendmail "SMARTHOST" that routes all the mail.
Then you have the sendmail "NULLCLIENT" Configuration on all the mail
clients, that route all the mail to the SMARTHOST for further delivery
to the internet.
The NULLCLIENT is also capable of forward incoming mail to the smarthost.
You will always get mail delivered even though it by mistake is sent to
one of the clients.
What will the DBMAIL SMTP receptor do with mail that are not destined to
the host?
Is it possible to give some error message at the RCPT TO: command?

/Magnus

Re: [Dbmail] SMTP server for dbmail [ In reply to ]
How much more involved an SMTP server are you thinking vs. LMTP? As I
discovered while researching the LMTP protocol, it is literally just SMTP
with mandatory pipelining, highly recommended 8bit and chunking and
forbidden to use port 25 or operate over any wan links...

In fact, I'd bet that adding a 'case EHLO:' right before the 'case LHLO:'
in the alpha LMTP daemon I posted would do the trick!

BTW - Did you guys just hack up a simple SMTP daemon, or work with enough
structure to run into the insert_messages() limitations which I'm
currently working to address with the pipe.c rewrites? I'd be interested
to hear your impressions on increasing the flexibility of that code...

Aaron

Re: Re: [Dbmail] SMTP server for dbmail [ In reply to ]
On dinsdag, apr 29, 2003, at 11:24 Europe/Amsterdam, Aaron Stone wrote:

> How much more involved an SMTP server are you thinking vs. LMTP? As I
> discovered while researching the LMTP protocol, it is literally just
> SMTP
> with mandatory pipelining, highly recommended 8bit and chunking and
> forbidden to use port 25 or operate over any wan links...
>
> In fact, I'd bet that adding a 'case EHLO:' right before the 'case
> LHLO:'
> in the alpha LMTP daemon I posted would do the trick!

Yeah, it would be quite easy. First setup would be to implement a
minimal smtp (no relaying, just delivery).
How far are you on the LMTP? Would it be worth it for me to start on
the SMTPd?

> BTW - Did you guys just hack up a simple SMTP daemon, or work with
> enough
> structure to run into the insert_messages() limitations which I'm
> currently working to address with the pipe.c rewrites? I'd be
> interested
> to hear your impressions on increasing the flexibility of that code...

Roel created an smtp server (very minimal) quite a while ago. I've no
idea how he went about it. I'm also not sure if it is in CVS or on his
laptop :)
You shouldn't use insert_messages. The database 'drivers' have specific
ways to insert messages (look for insert in those files).

Best regards,

Eelco

> Aaron
>

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Eelco van Beek wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was thinking about building a dedicated smtp server for dbmail. This
>> will not be a full smtp server implementation (no relaying and stuff
>> like that) but pureley an smtp reception daemon. This has the
>> following
>> advantages:
>>
>> • much higher mail reception throughput
>> • direct bounces if needed
>> • direct checks against aliases table
>> • no depedencies of other smtp's
>>
>> It will coexist next to an LMTP implementation. They both will service
>> different needs.
>>
>> We've tested a very very very minimal version of an smtp server. It
>> was
>> able to process about 70 mailmessages per second. That about 10 times
>> as many as the current situation can handle.
>>
>> Furthermore, Roel and i were brainstorming about speeding up the imap
>> server. Our goal is to make it 5 - 10 times faster as it is now. Also
>> we want to implement shared folders. For both changes we'll need to
>> make changes to the database layout. We have some plans about this
>> that
>> we'll reveal soon.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Eelco
>>

>> _________________________
>> E.J.A. van Beek
>> ICT Manager
>> IC&S
>> T: +31 30 2322878
>> F: +31 30 2322305
>>
>> PGP-key:
>> www.ic-s.nl/keys/eelco.txt

_________________________
E.J.A. van Beek
ICT Manager
IC&S
T: +31 30 2322878
F: +31 30 2322305

PGP-key:
www.ic-s.nl/keys/eelco.txt
Re: Re: [Dbmail] SMTP server for dbmail [ In reply to ]
Looking more at what you're been writing, literally what you're suggesting
is an LMTP that responds to HELO and EHLO in addition to LHLO.

At the moment, the only part missing from the LMTP code is a way to insert
messages. I'm rewriting pipe.c, et al, as a "middle layer" between the
high level protocol code and the low level database code.

There are only two pieces of code that know how to insert a message: in
mini-injector.c, which directly drives the database, and in main.c, which
falls onto pipe.c for the nitty gritty, and pipe.c's insert_messages()
didn't need all that much work so as not to be hardcoded to stdin... but
I'm giving it a rewrite anyways so that Jonas' Regex filters and my Sieve
filters will have a place in the delivery chain without hacking the
database layer as Jonas did (not wanting to rock the boat and rewrite
pipe.c ;-)

Take a look at the new pipe.c I posted. The insert_messages() function is
rewritten to be a one call solution anytime you have message data coming
at you and need it to be delivered! :-)

Aaron