Mailing List Archive

a couple of minor bugs in packaging
Hi,

I've started testing out davical a little here on my Ubuntu desktop using
the packages.

In passing I noticed a couple of things which might be usefully fixed.
I've reported them in launchpad, but it might make more sense to report
upstream to here I am.

== pgsql 8.4 ==

In Ubuntu Karmic, postgresql-8.4 is now out and I had it installed.
DAViCal requires 8.[123] but 8.4 is not okay. I presume the rules just
needs to be updated to allow gpsql 8.4 to meet this requirement.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/davical/+bug/479138

== php5-ldap ==

I got davical working with LDAP but one thing which tripped me up was that
I didn't have php5-ldap installed. This might sound silly to miss but the
only error I got was:

ERROR:Couldn't contact LDAP server for authentication

which suggest I look elsewhere. Running tcpdump and trawling the source
code I realised that things were really tripping up on the lack of ldap. I
looked at the package information to see was there any suggestion of
php5-ldap and there wasn't. I eventually concluded that it was needed, but
it would be nice if it were suggested in the package manager as I suspect
people would be more likely to notice that it might be needed and install
if they planned using ldap auth.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/davical/+bug/479378

Otherwise, thanks for the software.

Gavin
a couple of minor bugs in packaging [ In reply to ]
About the 8.4 dependency I can only subscribe.
As openSUSE 11.2 going out on Thursday also have postgresql 8.4

--

Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net S?rl
2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

T?l : ++41 32 435 7171
Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
www.ioda-net.ch

Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
www.cfcel.com
a couple of minor bugs in packaging [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 18:34 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> In passing I noticed a couple of things which might be usefully fixed.
> I've reported them in launchpad, but it might make more sense to report
> upstream to here I am.

Yeah, indeed it does - I've never seen any of the launchpad bugs, and
have never heard from any person who may (or probably isn't) maintaining
the package for Ubuntu.

> == pgsql 8.4 ==
>
> In Ubuntu Karmic, postgresql-8.4 is now out and I had it installed.
> DAViCal requires 8.[123] but 8.4 is not okay. I presume the rules just
> needs to be updated to allow gpsql 8.4 to meet this requirement.

Perhaps Ubuntu is using an old version. Certainly 0.9.7.6 has a
dependency on:

postgresql-client-8.4 | postgresql-client-8.3 | postgresql-client-8.2 |
postgresql-client-8.1

which seems right to me. I've been developing on PostgreSQL 8.4 for at
least six months now, though I have to be careful to ensure I don't
break support for older versions back to 8.1 too.

> == php5-ldap ==
>
> I got davical working with LDAP but one thing which tripped me up was that
> I didn't have php5-ldap installed. This might sound silly to miss but the
> only error I got was:
>
> ERROR:Couldn't contact LDAP server for authentication
>
> which suggest I look elsewhere. Running tcpdump and trawling the source
> code I realised that things were really tripping up on the lack of ldap. I
> looked at the package information to see was there any suggestion of
> php5-ldap and there wasn't. I eventually concluded that it was needed, but
> it would be nice if it were suggested in the package manager as I suspect
> people would be more likely to notice that it might be needed and install
> if they planned using ldap auth.

Rather than suggest it with the package manager, which seems fairly
bogus unless you're running LDAP, but the package manager is not
advanced enough to be able to make suggestions like that.

It would be better if the LDAP code detected the function was missing
and display an error message saying it needs to be installed. That
would also work better for other distributions.

Cheers,
Andrew.

A few hours grace before the madness begins again.

a couple of minor bugs in packaging [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the response.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> Yeah, indeed it does - I've never seen any of the launchpad bugs, and
> have never heard from any person who may (or probably isn't) maintaining
> the package for Ubuntu.

I think I may have reported the first two today :-) For a (slightly) more
predictable release cycle we've standardised on Ubuntu for our servers
though we do use Debian at times too.

> Perhaps Ubuntu is using an old version. Certainly 0.9.7.6 has a
> dependency on:
>
> postgresql-client-8.4 | postgresql-client-8.3 | postgresql-client-8.2 |
> postgresql-client-8.1
>
> which seems right to me. I've been developing on PostgreSQL 8.4 for at
> least six months now, though I have to be careful to ensure I don't
> break support for older versions back to 8.1 too.

Fair enough then. The version in Ubuntu is 0.9.7-0. Is that a long way
behind?

> It would be better if the LDAP code detected the function was missing
> and display an error message saying it needs to be installed. That
> would also work better for other distributions.

Certainly. There is code in drivers_ldap.php already which says:

if(!function_exists('ldap_connect')){
$c->messages[] = i18n("drivers_ldap : function ldap_connect not defined, check your php_ldap module");
$this->valid=false;
return ;
}

but it's not clear to me where that message goes -- errors reported with
dbg_error_log("ERROR",...) end up in the apache error logs which is fine,
but the above error seems to disappear.

Perhaps I'm just using old code here in which case maybe this isn't a big
deal.

Thanks again,
Gavin