Mailing List Archive

creating read-only calendars off read-write calendar
On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 23:16 -0700, defender1844 wrote:
> I created a calendar and access it using iCAL. I created a series of events.
>
> What I want to do is make the calendar readable by anyone so that they can
> put it in a URL and username/pass that I provide and see all of the events
> but not modify them, delete them or create new events.
>
> I tried to use the Davical admin to create a linked account but it just does
> not work. What could I be doing wrong? Or is there a better approach.
>
> Basically:
>
> Calendar A - http://davical.fadethepublic.com/nfl username nfl, password:
> XXXXX
> Calendar B - read only version of calendar A. url:
> http://davical.fadethepublic.com/nfl_readonly username nfl_readonly,
> password: XXYY
>
> but all elements in Calendar B are actually read-only events of calendar A.
> Is this possible? I want 1000 users or more to be able to access calendar B
> with the same URL, username and password combo but only me to have access to
> Calendar A.
>
> Please response to this list and amit at greathills dot com. I really
> appreciate any help.

You should mark the collection as 'Public' and use /public.php/ in the
URL instead of /caldav.php/ .

Then people (anyone) can access it as CalDAV (or less efficiently as
WebDAV) without a username / password, but they can't modify stuff at
all.

I'm pretty sure that works in 0.9.9.

Also in 0.9.9 are tickets, which can be created for any collection
granting either read or read/write access to the calendar. These just
get appended to the URL, like:

.../caldav.php/username/collection/?ticket=fG56fwY7

Unfortunately there's no UI to create these wee things yet - you have to
add rows to the database table, or use the DAV MKTICKET method.

Cheers,
Andrew.

You're at the end of the road again.