Mailing List Archive

(Sorting in) the delegation drop down menu
Hi,

I have a feature request here:
If you have more than a handful of user it is not really easy to pick
the right user from the delegation menu.
The users are sorted by ID which by no mean as any relevance to the
user. The user searches by name, so the drop down menu should be sorted
by name.

Furthermore with a lot of user the drop down menu is not easy to use
anymore. The UI should be changed here to something else, where the user
can browse/search the user list more comfortable.

Marc
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
(Sorting in) the delegation drop down menu [ In reply to ]
It sounds like you are on an older release? For me at least this sorting
issue was fixed in 0.9.9

I'll also add another comment about the list of users. Displaying only
names is tricky since it's possible to have two people in a large company
with the same first and last name. So in my user list for grants I have
things like

Bob Jones
John Smith
John Smith
Steve Smith

It's rather hard to tell which John Smith is the one I want to select.
Possibly putting the username in brackets after the name would prevent that
sort of confusion since the username should always be unique. i.e.

Bob Jones (bjones)
John Smith (jsmith)
John Smith (johns)
Steve Smith (ssmith)

-J

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Marc Patermann <
hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a feature request here:
> If you have more than a handful of user it is not really easy to pick
> the right user from the delegation menu.
> The users are sorted by ID which by no mean as any relevance to the
> user. The user searches by name, so the drop down menu should be sorted
> by name.
>
> Furthermore with a lot of user the drop down menu is not easy to use
> anymore. The UI should be changed here to something else, where the user
> can browse/search the user list more comfortable.
>
> Marc

Make an app they can't live without
http://p.sf.net/sfu/RIM-dev2dev
(Sorting in) the delegation drop down menu [ In reply to ]
Jason,

Jason alavaliant schrieb am 17.08.2010 00:08 Uhr:
> It sounds like you are on an older release? For me at least this
> sorting issue was fixed in 0.9.9
No, I'm using 0.9.9 too.
I found out that sorting works for the principal (all the user's
collections) but not in the calender/collection delegation itself.

(Sorting in) the delegation drop down menu [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 10:07 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Jason alavaliant schrieb am 17.08.2010 00:08 Uhr:
> > It sounds like you are on an older release? For me at least this
> > sorting issue was fixed in 0.9.9
> No, I'm using 0.9.9 too.
> I found out that sorting works for the principal (all the user's
> collections) but not in the calender/collection delegation itself.

Thanks for the clarification. I've added the necessary 'order by'
clause now, and it'll be visible in Git as soon as I fix an annoying wee
bug to do with principal-property-search reports in my tree at
present...

Also, I do agree that some of the elements on these pages can be a pain
if you have a large list of values in a drop-down. Unfortunately I'm
not any kind of a UI programmer, and I don't even play one at the
movies... :-)

I've spent the last five years coming to grips with the calendaring
standards and so forth, and while I have some basic CSS and HTML skills
I could really use help in improving the user interface stuff. The good
thing is that the database structures for users / principals /
collections are fairly well settled now, so it is definitely worthwhile
starting to work on polishing these areas a bit more.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Powering the .NZ namespace with Open Source Software