Mailing List Archive

delegation tab in iCal
Hey Andrew,

And to think I spent the last two weeks in more or less the same room
as you, now I have to email ;-)

Try as I might, I cannot seem to do anything to make my DAViCal user
accounts show the Delegation tab in Apple iCal 3.0. I mucked about
for a while, and now have deleted the whole db and started from
scratch and still no luck:

- created 'mediaarts' user
- Privileges granted to All Users: All
- created 'hans' user
- Privileges granted to All Users: All
- created 'mediaartseditors' group
- Privileges granted to All Users: All
- added 'mediaarts' and 'hans' to the group
- in 'mediaarts' home calendar, added Collection Grant of All to
'mediaartseditors'

Basically, I'd like the 'mediaarts' home calendar to be visible and
editable from multiple users. I have to support Apple iCal. Any
suggestions?

.hc

http://at.or.at/hans/

Make an app they can't live without
http://p.sf.net/sfu/RIM-dev2dev
delegation tab in iCal [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 22:45 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
>
> And to think I spent the last two weeks in more or less the same room
> as you, now I have to email ;-)
>
> Try as I might, I cannot seem to do anything to make my DAViCal user
> accounts show the Delegation tab in Apple iCal 3.0. I mucked about
> for a while, and now have deleted the whole db and started from
> scratch and still no luck:
>
> - created 'mediaarts' user
> - Privileges granted to All Users: All
> - created 'hans' user
> - Privileges granted to All Users: All
> - created 'mediaartseditors' group
> - Privileges granted to All Users: All
> - added 'mediaarts' and 'hans' to the group
> - in 'mediaarts' home calendar, added Collection Grant of All to
> 'mediaartseditors'
>
> Basically, I'd like the 'mediaarts' home calendar to be visible and
> editable from multiple users. I have to support Apple iCal. Any
> suggestions?

Hi Hans,

Apple iCal doesn't recognise collection-level grants, however it sounds
like you've given away enough privileges that it should work.

On the other hand it might work *better* to add an explicit grant of
privileges from the mediaarts principal to the mediaartseditors group,
and to remove the mediarts from the group.

Essentially what you want to have is:

hans --\
\
bill ----+----> mediaartseditors ---> mediaarts
/
curt --/

So the target needs to grant privileges to the group, but making it a
member of the group as well might be confusing the situation.

You could also just get rid of the mediaartseditors group, and make
mediaarts a group that the others are members of.

There's also some funky SQL you can do to check what rights someone
might have against a path.

SELECT get_pprivs( X, '/principal/collection/', 2);

Where X is the principal_id. The last parameter is the depth for
searching groups within groups - just leave it at 2, which is what
DAViCal defaults it to.

If you want human readable privs rather than the binary output, you can
wrap that further as:

SELECT bits_to_privilege( get_pprivs( X, '/principal/collection/', 2) );

You might want to get on #davical on irc.oftc.net if you have further
questions - it's kind of hard to debug this stuff via e-mail... :-)

Cheers,
Andrew.

You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.