Mailing List Archive

mysql support
Hi there,

Using PDO won't automatically make DAViCAL work with MySQL. The stored procedures will also have to be ported from plpgsql to whatever MySQL uses (something like DB2 IIRC).

Take a look at the sql files at http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/blob/HEAD:/dba/ to see the kind of functions that'll need translating.

Ian.

Ian Clark Mail:: icc20 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Computing & Imaging Systems Manager Extn:: 66930
Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Downing Site, CB2 3EH
For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong
mysql support [ In reply to ]
Hi,

One and a half years later: can php4 support be killed and PDO be used to
access the database?

mysql support is pretty much the last obstacle that prevents me from using
the DAViCal...

--
Arie

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 13:17, Bruno Friedmann <bruno at ioda-net.ch> wrote:

> I really thing there's nothing we can do for peole having php4.
> After all php4 is dead officially in March/April of 2008.
>
> Pro hosting provider provide php5 or eventually php6.
>
> Seriously what we should answer if people want to run a postgresql 6 or a
> mysql 3 ?
> People asking for a php4 are people that don't want to update their coding
> or software
> Most of 85% of php4 (good) code work directly under php5.
> It's their choice, not our ! Move on.
>
> I would be very happy to see a such nice piece of software adopting pdo.
> And Andrew if you need more help don't hesitate to ask us.
> (Test, money, time, code whatever)
>

> Arie Skliarouk wrote:
> > So, is anyone running DAViCal on PHP4?
> >
> > assuming that January is a complete writeoff.
> > Are you planning to rewrite the davical??
> >
> > --
> > Arie

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
mysql support [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 12:25 +0100, Ian Clark wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Using PDO won't automatically make DAViCAL work with MySQL. The stored
> procedures will also have to be ported from plpgsql to whatever MySQL
> uses (something like DB2 IIRC).
>
> Take a look at the sql files at
> http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/blob/HEAD:/dba/ to see the kind of
> functions that'll need translating.

That's correct, although I've reimplemented a number of those in PHP, in
particular the RRULE handling has been rewritten in PHP which means I
can move that part of it which depends on in-database processing back
out of the database now. There's still significant in-database handling
of permission checking, however, and likely other stuff that MySQL (in
particular) doesn't support so well. I expect SQLite or Drizzle support
would be an easier job - or even MSSQL - than MySQL would be.

Also, while I've developed (and switched to) a new DB layer in DAViCal
which does use PDO, and which provides for database-specific bypassing
of this kind of functionality, so that a DB driver author could
implement it outside the database, the AWL libraries used by DAViCal
continue to use the older libraries.

I expect to convert the library code over to the new PDO-based DB layer
when I get back home from my holiday - it's mostly a mechanical process,
although the new libraries offer some better features in a few places. I
also have to confirm that the various other applications that use AWL
will continue to work, and they don't all have the regression testing
framework that DAViCal does.

Cheers,
Andrew.