Lesley Longhurst (previously Walker)
Linux Systems Administrator
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Email lesley.longhurst at opus.co.nz
Tel +64 4 471 7002, Fax +64 4 473 3017
http://www.opus.co.nz
Level 9 Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, PO Box 12 343
Wellington, New Zealand
CalDav vs iCal? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 17:30 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:
> Hi all,
> Please forgive what is probably a FAQ from a relative newbie.
>
> I'm setting up DAViCal (0.9.9), so far just with my own Thunderbird
> client but plannning to roll it out company-wide (to mainly Outlook users).
>
> In t-bird when you connect to a remote calendar you get to choose one of
> three protocols. It appears that both iCal and CalDav can be made to
> work with DAViCal (as one might expect!), as long as you pick one and
> stick with it. Are there pros and cons, or other considerations, or
> should I just toss a coin? My client is Lightning/1.0b1
> Thunderbird/3.0.4, Linux, 64bit.

Hi Lesley,

If it supports CalDAV, then you should choose CalDAV. This requires
lower bandwidth and is much better at handling concurrency, etc, etc
than having a remote iCalendar file over WebDAV - what you refer to as
'iCal'.

DAViCal only supports writable 'iCalendar over WebDAV' to accommodate
people who are stuck with clients which can't do CalDAV, and the
writability is off by default.

> Lesley
>
> PS: I'm also open to recommendations for a good Windows client, if there
> are any others beyond those listed in the wiki.

If there's a particular reason that Thunderbird + Lightning won't cut it
for you I would definitely recommend trying EMClient on Windows. Though
I have been unable to use it myself (it won't run under Wine, and I
don't have any computers running Windows to test it on) the developer is
very active and committed to supporting CalDAV and CardDAV. They have
conducted interoperability testing with DAViCal and it is the only
client I know of which will use the WebDAV sync support, among other
things. Hopefully it measures up to my belief!

Cheers,
Andrew McMillan.

Building more free and open source software for the World