Mailing List Archive

rscds-general Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15
Firstly, thank you Andrew for your work on davical!

> Is it possible that when you originally set things up you copied the AWL
> include files into the DAViCal include directory? This is something I
> have heard of people doing, and it will break stuff very effectively!

Copying the AWL and davical files into a single include directory is described in the procedure which is necessary to get davical running on a hosted server:

http://wiki.davical.org/w/Installation_Experiences/Sep_2009:_Install_on_a_Hosted_Server

This seems to work ok on 0.9.7.6 but I haven't tried upgrading further because of the rate of change of davical and the potentially lengthy and error-prone procedure in upgrading.

Why should things break because the AWL source files are located in the same directory as the davical source files?

The alternative is to install AWL using the debian package manager which is not available unless you have root access and therefore have to take on the entire sysadmin of a virtualised server. This is an excessive sysadmin burden when all you want to do is serve PHP scripts for a site which doesn't require a virtualised server to run other PHP systems such as drupal.

So I'm interested to help simplify the installation on systems which are not guaranteed to be Linux distributions with root access.
--
Leigh M. Smith
mailto:leigh at leighsmith.com
http://www.leighsmith.com
rscds-general Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 08:12 -0400, Leigh Smith wrote:
> Firstly, thank you Andrew for your work on davical!
>
> > Is it possible that when you originally set things up you copied the
> AWL
> > include files into the DAViCal include directory? This is something
> > have heard of people doing, and it will break stuff very
> effectively!
>

> Copying the AWL and davical files into a single include directory is
> described in the procedure which is necessary to get davical running
> on a hosted server:
>
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Installation_Experiences/Sep_2009:_Install_on_a_Hosted_Server

Thanks. I'll edit that page... :-)

> This seems to work ok on 0.9.7.6 but I haven't tried upgrading further
> because of the rate of change of davical and the potentially lengthy
> and error-prone procedure in upgrading.

Well this is exactly one of the things that makes upgrading error-prone.
PHP *does* allow you to configure include paths. The development of AWL
and DAViCal is not completely lock-step, though DAViCal is currently my
most active project there are others which also use these libraries.

> Why should things break because the AWL source files are located in
> the same directory as the davical source files?

Nothing breaks because they are in there, until the newer version is
installed. On some occasions files which are originally developed as
part of DAViCal (or some other project) are migrated into the library
package. In this case you may end up with a confusion about which file
should be being used.

> The alternative is to install AWL using the debian package manager
> which is not available unless you have root access and therefore have
> to take on the entire sysadmin of a virtualised server. This is an
> excessive sysadmin burden when all you want to do is serve PHP scripts
> for a site which doesn't require a virtualised server to run other PHP
> systems such as drupal.

Isn't the alternative simply to configure the PHP include path?

> So I'm interested to help simplify the installation on systems which
> are not guaranteed to be Linux distributions with root access.

From 0.9.9 DAViCal endeavours to set the include path itself, so if that
does work for you then this should become a non-issue - apart from the
need to clean the old AWL includes out of the DAViCal include directory.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Your domestic life may be harmonious.