Mailing List Archive

How to create backup
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 09:45 +0200, Michael Suhr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to move my complete DAViCal to a new server. In wiki I found a
> manual for backups but it doesn't work. I have created the dump with
> 'pg_dump -Fc davical >davical.pgdump' an then 'createdb --owner
> davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template template0 ' but there was the
> first error because it ca't create the database.
> If I run 'createdb --owner davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template
> template0 davical' (with database name) it works.

OK. Typo fix needed in the wiki, I guess... can you post a link to the
page that needs reviewing?

> Then I update the database schema and all my users where restored,
> but the groups and privileges and calendars are gone.
>
> How can do a full backup with all groups, rules, privileges and calendars?

Everything should have been present in that dump, and should have been
restored on the new server.

The backup/restore procedure might omit the DB users, however. Did you
create the davical_dba and davical_app database users before the
restore?

I assume that after the createdb you *did* do the:

pg_restore -Fc -d davical davical.pgdump

?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Don't tell any big lies today. Small ones can be just as effective.

I want to move my complete DAViCal to a new server. In wiki I found a
manual for backups but it doesn't work. I have created the dump with
'pg_dump -Fc davical >davical.pgdump' an then 'createdb --owner
davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template template0 ' but there was the
first error because it ca't create the database.
If I run 'createdb --owner davical_dba --encoding UTF8 --template
template0 davical' (with database name) it works. Then I update the
database schema and all my users where restored, but the groups and
privileges and calendars are gone.

How can do a full backup with all groups, rules, privileges and calendars?

Greets
M.Suhr