caldav-client is really hard. sunbird looks horrible and eats up all my
memory (and I have only 2 gig) and is really slow, evolution seems fast
enough for me, but it crashes here and there which is annoying. I don't
miss mac os x too much, but I miss iCal. What do you use out there with
linux desktops?

Wolfgang
--
http://www.wogri.com
Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I've made the switch (on the desktop-side) from mac os x to linux. It is
> hard enough to find a mail client that fits my needs (I'm currently not
> really decided if I should use thunderbird or evolution), but finding a
> caldav-client is really hard.

I know.

At the office we are using caldav for our calendars, ldap for our
addressbooks and imap for or email, so there is only 1 viable solution:
evolution.

Before v2.28 it was a disaster because of a major memoryleak, but since
v2.30 it is actually not that bad and quite fast too. Since 1 week I have
seen a few crashes without an error message (on debian squeeze), which
troubles me slightly - but it never causes data loss or corrupt data, so a
restart is a quick fix...

Thunderbird+lightning is something I would like to use very much (firefox is
our browser), but that is a no-go because we need LDAP write-support.

HTH
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
On 23-06-10 07:51, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've made the switch (on the desktop-side) from mac os x to linux. It is
> hard enough to find a mail client that fits my needs (I'm currently not
> really decided if I should use thunderbird or evolution), but finding a
> caldav-client is really hard. sunbird looks horrible and eats up all my
> memory (and I have only 2 gig) and is really slow, evolution seems fast
> enough for me, but it crashes here and there which is annoying. I don't
> miss mac os x too much, but I miss iCal. What do you use out there with
> linux desktops?
Hi,

We use Thunderbird + Lightning in our office network of 60+ computers.
Lightning does not seem to properly support Caldav auto-scheduling yet,
so we had to disable that in Davical. Email invitations work glamorously
though. We modified the lightning plugin add-calendar wizard so that
users can view other users' calendars more easily. The release of
Thunderbird 3.1 is eagerly awaited (scheduled for tomorrow!), because
3.0 refuses to open attachments of type "application/octet-stream",
which is a pain. In general though, Thunderbird 3 is a great
improvement, and we are glad that development seems to have picked up
again in the last year or so.

Even so, every once in a while we are tempted to look into Evolution,
because the Mozilla mechamism for system policies which we deploy are
not security upgrade proof on Ubuntu such as 10.4, as are globally
installed extensions. They were on Ubuntu 9.10 by the way. My bug report
on this remained undecided, so we wonder how many offices actually
deploy Ubuntu Linux using Mozilla Thunderbird ;-).

Cheers,
Stefan.
Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 07:51 +0200, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've made the switch (on the desktop-side) from mac os x to linux. It is
> hard enough to find a mail client that fits my needs (I'm currently not
> really decided if I should use thunderbird or evolution), but finding a
> caldav-client is really hard. sunbird looks horrible and eats up all my
> memory (and I have only 2 gig) and is really slow, evolution seems fast
> enough for me, but it crashes here and there which is annoying. I don't
> miss mac os x too much, but I miss iCal. What do you use out there with
> linux desktops?

Hi Wolfgang,

I use Evolution. I find that if I disable all of the random plugins
I'll never use that it's crashiness is much reduced, although still not
perfect I usually get a week or two between crashes. Currently the iTIP
formatter plugin is the only one that does me in at present on Debian
Sid. The next version of DAViCal will also support using a CardDAV
addressbook with Evolution's WebDAV addressbook plugin, too.

Every now and then I take a look at Thunderbird + Lightning - just to
make sure I do, that's what I run on my Netbook. It's OK, but it just
seems to annoy me more reliably than Evolution does.

There is also a CalDAV plugin for those on the KDE side of the universe.
I believe this works fine, but there are no packages in Debian for it as
yet, nor have I had time to build it myself.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Artistic ventures highlighted. Rob a museum.

Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
On Jun 24, 2010, at 02:48 , Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 07:51 +0200, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've made the switch (on the desktop-side) from mac os x to linux. It is
>> hard enough to find a mail client that fits my needs (I'm currently not
>> really decided if I should use thunderbird or evolution), but finding a
>> caldav-client is really hard. sunbird looks horrible and eats up all my
>> memory (and I have only 2 gig) and is really slow, evolution seems fast
>> enough for me, but it crashes here and there which is annoying. I don't
>> miss mac os x too much, but I miss iCal. What do you use out there with
>> linux desktops?
>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I use Evolution. I find that if I disable all of the random plugins
> I'll never use that it's crashiness is much reduced, although still not
> perfect I usually get a week or two between crashes.

Thanks for the hint, Andrew.

> Currently the iTIP
> formatter plugin is the only one that does me in at present on Debian
> Sid. The next version of DAViCal will also support using a CardDAV
> addressbook with Evolution's WebDAV addressbook plugin, too.

Yeah, I can't wait for that to come, thanks for implementing it!

> Every now and then I take a look at Thunderbird + Lightning - just to
> make sure I do, that's what I run on my Netbook. It's OK, but it just
> seems to annoy me more reliably than Evolution does.

heh :) So I guess except for the missing IMAP IDLE (which is supposed to be included in a future version) I'm pretty fine here :)

> There is also a CalDAV plugin for those on the KDE side of the universe.
> I believe this works fine, but there are no packages in Debian for it as
> yet, nor have I had time to build it myself.

Yeah, but I'm not on that side, but it's good to know.

Thanks for all replies, good to know that I can stop searching :)

> Cheers,
> Andrew.

Wolfgang

Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 23-06-10 10:47, Stefan Rijnhart wrote:
> We modified the lightning plugin add-calendar wizard so that
> users can view other users' calendars more easily.

Would you be willing/able to share this modification? I've often thought
this would be an excellent addition to Lightning, however I haven't yet
found the time to do it myself.

Regards,
Roel van Os
Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
On 24-06-10 08:51, Roel van Os wrote
> On 23-06-10 10:47, Stefan Rijnhart wrote:
>
>> We modified the lightning plugin add-calendar wizard so that
>> users can view other users' calendars more easily.
>>
> Would you be willing/able to share this modification? I've often thought
> this would be an excellent addition to Lightning, however I haven't yet
> found the time to do it myself.

Sure, see the attached patch. Adapt the two occurrences of
"http://yourdavicalserver/" to your situation. Unzip the lightning.xpi
or locate the {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103} directory in your
extensions directory, unzip the calendar.jar in there and apply the
patch. Zip everything up again.

What this patch does is change the default location for new calendars to
"On the network". In the next step of the wizard, it adds a new
(default) option "Calendar within our organization". For location, it
expects a user name. A new caldav calendar is created pointing to the
home calendar of this user on your network. Please note that the patch
changes the default settings for new calendars to "no identity", "read
only" and "no alarms". Take care that these parameters are changed when
adding the user's own calendar.

Cheers,
Stefan.

Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
On 24-06-10 13:24, Stefan Rijnhart wrote:
> On 24-06-10 08:51, Roel van Os wrote
>> On 23-06-10 10:47, Stefan Rijnhart wrote:
>>> We modified the lightning plugin add-calendar wizard so that
>>> users can view other users' calendars more easily.
>> Would you be willing/able to share this modification? I've often thought
>> this would be an excellent addition to Lightning, however I haven't yet
>> found the time to do it myself.
> Sure, see the attached patch.

Cool, thanks a lot! I'll try this out soon!

Regards,
Roel
Stable, lightweight and great CalDAV-Linux Client [ In reply to ]
Le 23/06/2010 10:47, Stefan Rijnhart a ?crit :
> On 23-06-10 07:51, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've made the switch (on the desktop-side) from mac os x to linux. It is
>> hard enough to find a mail client that fits my needs (I'm currently not
>> really decided if I should use thunderbird or evolution), but finding a
>> caldav-client is really hard. sunbird looks horrible and eats up all my
>> memory (and I have only 2 gig) and is really slow, evolution seems fast
>> enough for me, but it crashes here and there which is annoying. I don't
>> miss mac os x too much, but I miss iCal. What do you use out there with
>> linux desktops?
> Hi,
>
> We use Thunderbird + Lightning in our office network of 60+ computers.
> Lightning does not seem to properly support Caldav auto-scheduling yet,
> so we had to disable that in Davical. Email invitations work glamorously
> though. We modified the lightning plugin add-calendar wizard so that
> users can view other users' calendars more easily. The release of
> Thunderbird 3.1 is eagerly awaited (scheduled for tomorrow!), because
> 3.0 refuses to open attachments of type "application/octet-stream",
> which is a pain. In general though, Thunderbird 3 is a great
> improvement, and we are glad that development seems to have picked up
> again in the last year or so.
>
> Even so, every once in a while we are tempted to look into Evolution,
> because the Mozilla mechamism for system policies which we deploy are
> not security upgrade proof on Ubuntu such as 10.4, as are globally
> installed extensions. They were on Ubuntu 9.10 by the way. My bug report
> on this remained undecided, so we wonder how many offices actually
> deploy Ubuntu Linux using Mozilla Thunderbird ;-).

Hi,

I'm using t-bird + lightning too and I'm trying to disable
auto-scheduling in davical. Can you explain how do you manage to disable
this and use email invitations with lightning ?

Cordialement,

--
Fabien Zouaoui