Mailing List Archive

UTF8 requirement and PG client encoding translation
Hi all,
I was about to ask a question, but I have figured out the answer, so
here's a handy hint for anyone who needs use DAViCal in a LATIN1
PostgreSQL environment (DAViCal requires UTF8).

Postgres can do automatic character set conversion:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/multibyte.html#AEN22605

It took a while for me to make sense of the stuff I found in the
manuals, but I have finally figured out how to make use of this facility.

All I have to do is as add an option to the connection string in the
config file:
'--client_encoding=UTF8'.

Obviously a better answer is to convert the existing stuff to using
UTF8, but that takes time. :-)

Hopefully if others come across this stumbling block, this missive will
serve to assist.

--
Lesley Longhurst (previously Walker)
Linux Systems Administrator
Email lesley.longhurst at opus.co.nz
Tel +64 4 471 7002, Fax +64 4 473 3017
http://www.opus.co.nz
Level 9 Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, PO Box 12 343
Wellington, New Zealand