Mailing List Archive

Localization
On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 06:47 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was missing a working localization on my /from tar.gz/ install.
> I found that there is no locale directory. Is it not in the tar file?
>
> On one of my Ubuntu test installations there was the locale dir and I
> copied it over to the other server. Now some string changed to german -
> but by far not all.

If you install from the .tar.gz you should at least run Make, but nobody
running on a debian-based distro should be running from .tar.gz unless
they have masochistic (i.e. developerish :-) tendencies. The readily
available .deb packages should work fine on any .deb based system
released in the last few years.

> davical/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/davical.mo seams to by a binary file.
> In GIT are the sources http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
> The de.po seams to be more elaborted than the file on the Ubuntu server.
> So I wanted to try it. But the translation wiki site
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Translating_DAViCal does not tell, how to get
> from de.po to davical.mo. And I did not find any davical.mo file in GIT.
>
> Any hint anyone?

There is a script in scripts/po which is run from the Makefile in the
root of the project which builds the .mo files.

As it happens we have a more recent .de translation in Git now, although
help is always welcome - these translations are often one-off.

> The po file looks like everything is translated, but the UI is not. The
> menu always states "User functions" and "View my Details"? Is there no
> easy way to change this?
> Where the Button "Read" ist translated to "Lesen", "Read/Write" is not.
> "Delete" is "L?schen" but "Create Collection" is still English. :(

This reflects significant UI changes in 0.9.8 which have not been
translated (until the changes which are in Git since the 0.9.9
release).

There were substantial string changes in 0.9.8 and some languages are
very out of date as a result. Updates to the translations are always
welcome :-)

I hope to have a 0.9.9.1 out soon, including these updates.

Cheers,
Andrew.

PS. Your original e-mail was rejected from the mailing list due to the
large attached images.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/ Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.

Andrew McMillan schrieb am 10.06.2010 11:19 Uhr:
> On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 06:47 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:

>> I was missing a working localization on my /from tar.gz/ install.
>> I found that there is no locale directory. Is it not in the tar file?
>>
>> On one of my Ubuntu test installations there was the locale dir and I
>> copied it over to the other server. Now some string changed to german -
>> but by far not all.
>
> If you install from the .tar.gz you should at least run Make,
Are you aware that that is nowhere in the wiki or the INSTALL file in
the tarball?

> As it happens we have a more recent .de translation in Git now, although
> help is always welcome - these translations are often one-off.
I took the one from HEAD I think:
http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
This does not change much. :(

Marc
Localization [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 15:49 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew McMillan schrieb am 10.06.2010 11:19 Uhr:
> > On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 06:47 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
>
> >> I was missing a working localization on my /from tar.gz/ install.
> >> I found that there is no locale directory. Is it not in the tar file?
> >>
> >> On one of my Ubuntu test installations there was the locale dir and I
> >> copied it over to the other server. Now some string changed to german -
> >> but by far not all.
> >
> > If you install from the .tar.gz you should at least run Make,
> Are you aware that that is nowhere in the wiki or the INSTALL file in
> the tarball?

No, I wasn't. I'm not altogether surprised. It has only been necessary
for maybe the last year, I think, and I guess I wasn't actually
expecting people to use the .tar.gz for installation... obviously make
does get run during the release process of building the .deb, which is
then used to create the RPM. Gentoo and suchlike all do the make step
as part of their install process also, so I hadn't really noticed the
problem.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a page on the wiki about
installing from .tar.gz, although I would prefix it with two paragraphs,
each headed "Why do you want to do this?", with the first explaining why
it is generally better to use .deb or .rpm (or whatever your distro
does) packages, and then the second paragraph wondering if perhaps the
person contemplating installing from .tar.gz might be better to do a Git
checkout... :-)

> > As it happens we have a more recent .de translation in Git now, although
> > help is always welcome - these translations are often one-off.
> I took the one from HEAD I think:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
> This does not change much. :(

OK. I thought I had committed that, but it seems I had not. I have now
done so though :-)

Cheers,
Andrew.

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
-- Meher Baba

Well, I use .tar.gz because our servers run Solaris...

Regards,
Norbert P?schel

--
networker, projektberatung GmbH
Kirchstr. 11a

Tel.: 02224/986158
Fax: 02224/986174
Mobil: 0163/5768493
Localization [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 15:21 +0200, Norbert P?schel wrote:
> Well, I use .tar.gz because our servers run Solaris...

Heh. Not a distro I've done any packaging for, although I confess I've
heard the screams from the other room from time to time for people who
have... :-)

Is there a 'How to install on Solaris' page on the wiki? I guess we
could use one!

Cheers,
Andrew.

> Regards,
> Norbert P?schel
>
> Am 17.06.10 13:08, schrieb Andrew McMillan:
> > On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 15:49 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Are you aware that that is nowhere in the wiki or the INSTALL file in
> >> the tarball?
> >
> > No, I wasn't. I'm not altogether surprised. It has only been necessary
> > for maybe the last year, I think, and I guess I wasn't actually
> > expecting people to use the .tar.gz for installation... obviously make
> > does get run during the release process of building the .deb, which is
> > then used to create the RPM. Gentoo and suchlike all do the make step
> > as part of their install process also, so I hadn't really noticed the
> > problem.
> >
> > It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a page on the wiki about
> > installing from .tar.gz, although I would prefix it with two paragraphs,
> > each headed "Why do you want to do this?", with the first explaining why
> > it is generally better to use .deb or .rpm (or whatever your distro
> > does) packages, and then the second paragraph wondering if perhaps the
> > person contemplating installing from .tar.gz might be better to do a Git
> > checkout... :-)

> >> I took the one from HEAD I think:
> >> http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
> >> This does not change much. :(
> >
> > OK. I thought I had committed that, but it seems I had not. I have now
> > done so though :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew.

Powering the .NZ namespace with Open Source Software

Andrew McMillan schrieb am 17.06.2010 13:08 Uhr:
> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 15:49 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
>> Andrew McMillan schrieb am 10.06.2010 11:19 Uhr:
>>> On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 06:47 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:

>>> As it happens we have a more recent .de translation in Git now, although
>>> help is always welcome - these translations are often one-off.
>> I took the one from HEAD I think:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
>> This does not change much. :(
>
> OK. I thought I had committed that, but it seems I had not. I have now
> done so though :-)
It is much better now, thank you!

Marc