Mailing List Archive

per user / calendar backup
Andrew,

I'd like to come back to this.

Andrew McMillan schrieb am 02.05.2010 10:25 Uhr:
> On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 14:29 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
>> is there any way to do backups on a per user or per calendar basis?
>> If Davical ist used by - say - /lots of users/, it is nearly always the
>> case that someone deleted something /important/.
>> In this case I cannot restore the whole database backuped an hour ago
>> (or so). The whole rest of the user base is killing you. :)
>>
>> One way to archive this would be a backup via WebDAV on each and every
>> calendar. There needs to be a list of all calendars and a user who has
>> read access to all the data. Is there any way to do this automatically?
>> E.g. define a user "backup" that has read access an every created
>> calendar by default.
>>
>> I found this in the documentation:
>> $c->default_relationships = array();
>
> That setting only applies pre-0.9.8. From 0.9.8 onwards it is not
> needed, because it is possible to set the default permissions granted to
> 'everyone' more straightforwardly.
How ist that?

> The admin user can access any calendar, however, so you could script a
> backup in that way.
OK, this is fine.
Is there an easy way to get a list of all existing calendars on the server?

Marc

per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 09:59 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:

> >> I found this in the documentation:
> >> $c->default_relationships = array();
> >
> > That setting only applies pre-0.9.8. From 0.9.8 onwards it is not
> > needed, because it is possible to set the default permissions granted to
> > 'everyone' more straightforwardly.

> How ist that?

Each principal, and each calendar of each principal, has a 'default
privileges' field where you can set the privileges granted to 'everyone'
by that principal (or calendar).

If you don't set the 'default privileges' on a calendar, then the
'default privileges' which have been set on the principal owning the
calendar will apply to that calendar instead.

> > The admin user can access any calendar, however, so you could script a
> > backup in that way.
> OK, this is fine.
> Is there an easy way to get a list of all existing calendars on the server?

The admin UI can only list collections per individual, but this is easy
enough in SQL:

psql -U davical_app davical -c 'SELECT dav_name, dav_displayname FROM
collection'

Cheers,
Andrew.

Necessity is the mother of documentation

per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
Andrew,

Andrew McMillan schrieb am 02.05.2010 10:25 Uhr:
> On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 14:29 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:

>> One way to archive this would be a backup via WebDAV on each and every
>> calendar. There needs to be a list of all calendars and a user who has
>> read access to all the data.
> The admin user can access any calendar, however, so you could script a
> backup in that way.
I thought it would be easy to dump the data with curl. So I tried
# curl --anyauth -u admin:passed http://server/davical/caldav.php/user2/home
which just gave me "Please log in for access to this system."
So I tried with a browser first.

I tried the following:

- access the calendar URL of one user with a browser
http://server/davical/caldav.php/user2/home/
- the calendar has me - user2 - with read access granted.
- I try three time to authenticate as admin with no success, I do not
get the data.
- I tried to authenticate as user1, which works - I can download the
data "3eDOv___.ics.part"
- I granted admin with read access to the calendar and tried again -
again no success! "Please log in for access to this system."

The admin user seams not to have any rights on the calendar.
All the users - except admin - are in ldap.

$c->do_not_sync_from_ldap = array( 'admin' => true, 'mrbond' => true );

What is wrong here?

Marc
per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Andrew McMillan schrieb am 28.05.2010 12:25 Uhr:
>>> That setting only applies pre-0.9.8. From 0.9.8 onwards it is not
>>> needed, because it is possible to set the default permissions granted to
>>> 'everyone' more straightforwardly.
>
>> How ist that?
>
> Each principal, and each calendar of each principal, has a 'default
> privileges' field where you can set the privileges granted to 'everyone'
> by that principal (or calendar).
So this is in the UI. The user has to do it himself, right?
I want this to be predefined. Can I still use the
$c->default_relationships option with 0.9.9?

> If you don't set the 'default privileges' on a calendar, then the
> 'default privileges' which have been set on the principal owning the
> calendar will apply to that calendar instead.
>

>>> The admin user can access any calendar, however, so you could script a
>>> backup in that way.
>> OK, this is fine.
>> Is there an easy way to get a list of all existing calendars on the server?
>
> The admin UI can only list collections per individual, but this is easy
> enough in SQL:
>
> psql -U davical_app davical -c 'SELECT dav_name, dav_displayname FROM
> collection'
Thanks!

Marc
per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
On 7 Jun 2010, at 16:11, Marc Patermann wrote:

> I thought it would be easy to dump the data with curl. So I tried
> # curl --anyauth -u admin:passed http://server/davical/caldav.php/user2/home
> which just gave me "Please log in for access to this system."

If you want to use the command line to dump a calendar, try this:
wget -O <save_file.ics> --user=<user> --password=<pass> -q http://server/caldav.php/user2/home.ics

Regards,
Keith.
per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
Keith,

Keith Smith schrieb am 11.06.2010 10:58 Uhr:
> On 7 Jun 2010, at 16:11, Marc Patermann wrote:

>> I thought it would be easy to dump the data with curl. So I tried
>> # curl --anyauth -u admin:passed http://server/davical/caldav.php/user2/home
>> which just gave me "Please log in for access to this system."
>
> If you want to use the command line to dump a calendar, try this:
> wget -O <save_file.ics> --user=<user> --password=<pass> -q http://server/caldav.php/user2/home.ics
Thanks for your response!
This is more or less the same, but does not solve my problem.

The main problem is that - as I tried to describe before - the admin
user cannot access the calendar data!

# wget -v -O bal.ics --user=admin --password=xxxx
http://server/davical/caldav.php/user/home.ics
--2010-06-11 11:33:45-- http://server/davical/caldav.php/user/home.ics
Resolving server... 10.49.6.72
Connecting to server|10.49.6.72|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
Reusing existing connection to server:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
Authorization failed.

Whereas I can log in with the same credential in the admin UI just fine.
Even when admin has the right given in the UI (whereas Andrew stated
this might not be necessary) it does not work.

Marc
per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 11:43 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Keith Smith schrieb am 11.06.2010 10:58 Uhr:
> > On 7 Jun 2010, at 16:11, Marc Patermann wrote:
>
> >> I thought it would be easy to dump the data with curl. So I tried
> >> # curl --anyauth -u admin:passed http://server/davical/caldav.php/user2/home
> >> which just gave me "Please log in for access to this system."
> >
> > If you want to use the command line to dump a calendar, try this:
> > wget -O <save_file.ics> --user=<user> --password=<pass> -q http://server/caldav.php/user2/home.ics
> Thanks for your response!
> This is more or less the same, but does not solve my problem.
>
> The main problem is that - as I tried to describe before - the admin
> user cannot access the calendar data!

Yes, that's true.

You can create a user (or just use admin) and add rights to access all
calendars.

One change in 0.9.8 and later is that the access control over a calendar
is decidedly with the owner of the calendar.

Of course if you have access to the SQL database you could insert a row
for each principal granting access to their calendars to the admin user.
and then all of the below would work just fine.

Cheers,
Andrew.

> # wget -v -O bal.ics --user=admin --password=xxxx
> http://server/davical/caldav.php/user/home.ics
> --2010-06-11 11:33:45-- http://server/davical/caldav.php/user/home.ics
> Resolving server... 10.49.6.72
> Connecting to server|10.49.6.72|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
> Reusing existing connection to server:80.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
> Authorization failed.
>
> Whereas I can log in with the same credential in the admin UI just fine.
> Even when admin has the right given in the UI (whereas Andrew stated
> this might not be necessary) it does not work.
>

> Marc

You have a deep appreciation of the arts and music.