Mailing List Archive

Security problem in 0.9.9?
Hi, i am using Davical 0.9.9

I am not sure if the following is a security problem, or if i have
configured something wrong.
Maybe, someone could test this on his own davical installation.

In the davical web-gui, when you click on a user, you can set the
privileges which are granted to all users.
I have activated "Read Free/Busy Information" and "Scheduling: Query
free/busy". And I did not set any other read or write permissions. I
just wanted to allow all users to see, when my testuser is free or busy.

But now, there is a problem:
When i browse with the webbrowser to: [...]/caldav.php/[mytestuser]/home
and login with any other user, i get all events of my test-user

But as i said, I did not set any other read or write permissions. And i
want to disallow the users to read the calendar of the testuser.

The problem is "solved", when i deactivate "Read Free/Busy Information"
and let "Scheduling: Query free/busy" activated at the page of my
testuser -> now, the other users no longer can see the events of my
testuser.
And the Free/Busy mechanism of Thunderbird still works :-)

Can you reproduce this security problem too?

HELPING HEADS for Hard- and Software
Fuer Ihre Projekte entwickeln wir massgeschneiderte Loesungen - schnell,
flexibel und direkt vor Ort. Unser eingespieltes Team an erfahrenen Hard-
und Software-Spezialisten unterstuetzt Sie dort, wo Sie uns brauchen.

SysDesign GmbH
Saentisstrasse 25
D-88079 Kressbronn am Bodensee

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Franz Kleiner
Handelsregister: Ulm 632138
Security problem in 0.9.9? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Markus Tallowitz wrote:
> Hi, i am using Davical 0.9.9
>
> I am not sure if the following is a security problem, or if i have
> configured something wrong.
> Maybe, someone could test this on his own davical installation.
>
> In the davical web-gui, when you click on a user, you can set the
> privileges which are granted to all users.
> I have activated "Read Free/Busy Information" and "Scheduling: Query
> free/busy". And I did not set any other read or write permissions. I
> just wanted to allow all users to see, when my testuser is free or busy.
>
> But now, there is a problem:
> When i browse with the webbrowser to: [...]/caldav.php/[mytestuser]/home
> and login with any other user, i get all events of my test-user

Hi Markus,

Do you get all events, or do you get a calendar containing obfuscated
versions of all events? In this situation you should be getting
obfuscated content, so that the events are shown, but with only a
summary of 'Busy'.

Regards,
Andrew.

Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.

Security problem in 0.9.9? [ In reply to ]
Am 17.05.2010 14:19, schrieb Andrew McMillan:
> On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Markus Tallowitz wrote:
>
>> Hi, i am using Davical 0.9.9
>>
>> I am not sure if the following is a security problem, or if i have
>> configured something wrong.
>> Maybe, someone could test this on his own davical installation.
>>
>> In the davical web-gui, when you click on a user, you can set the
>> privileges which are granted to all users.
>> I have activated "Read Free/Busy Information" and "Scheduling: Query
>> free/busy". And I did not set any other read or write permissions. I
>> just wanted to allow all users to see, when my testuser is free or busy.
>>
>> But now, there is a problem:
>> When i browse with the webbrowser to: [...]/caldav.php/[mytestuser]/home
>> and login with any other user, i get all events of my test-user
>>
> Hi Markus,
>
> Do you get all events, or do you get a calendar containing obfuscated
> versions of all events? In this situation you should be getting
> obfuscated content, so that the events are shown, but with only a
> summary of 'Busy'.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew.

When "Read Free/Busy Information" is activated, i get all details
(DESCRIPTION, SUMMARY, LOCATION,...) with the right values.
The database has been upgraded from davical 0.9.7.6

Don't know the exact difference between the two same-looking Free/Busy
options...

Security problem in 0.9.9? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I just wanted to confirm this bug on a clean 0.9.9 install. I'm using ldap
for authentication...don't know if that can cause such problems

thank you for this great software

jonas

Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:09:27 +0200
From: Markus Tallowitz <MTallowitz@sysdesign-edv.de>
<MTallowitz at sysdesign-edv.de>
Subject: Re: [DAViCal-general] Security problem in 0.9.9?
To: rscds-general at lists.sourceforge.net

Security problem in 0.9.9? [ In reply to ]
I'm using ldap too

Security problem in 0.9.9? [ In reply to ]
I got a working patch with just a few changes:
- I added an $any parameter to DAVResource:havePrivilegeTo to indicate
whether any or all of the privileges must be met. The calls to the function
in caldav-GET, specify any=0
- I fixed two typos obfuscated_event should be obfuscate_event

hope that helps

jonas