Mailing List Archive

per user / calendar backup
Hi,

is there any way to do backups on a per user or per calendar basis?
If Davical ist used by - say - /lots of users/, it is nearly always the
case that someone deleted something /important/.
In this case I cannot restore the whole database backuped an hour ago
(or so). The whole rest of the user base is killing you. :)

One way to archive this would be a backup via WebDAV on each and every
calendar. There needs to be a list of all calendars and a user who has
read access to all the data. Is there any way to do this automatically?
E.g. define a user "backup" that has read access an every created
calendar by default.

I found this in the documentation:
$c->default_relationships = array();

116 * An array of groups / permissions which should be automatically added
117 * for each new user created. This is a crude mechanism which we
118 * will hopefully manage to work out some better approach for in the
119 * future. For now, create an array that looks something like:
120 * array( 9 => 'R', 4 => 'A' )
121 * to create a 'read' relationship to user_no 9 and an 'all' relation
122 * with user_no 4.
123 * Default: none

So, if user backup has ID 3, it would be:
$c->default_relationships = array( 3 => 'R' );
Or not?

Marc
per user / calendar backup [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 14:29 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any way to do backups on a per user or per calendar basis?
> If Davical ist used by - say - /lots of users/, it is nearly always the
> case that someone deleted something /important/.
> In this case I cannot restore the whole database backuped an hour ago
> (or so). The whole rest of the user base is killing you. :)
>
> One way to archive this would be a backup via WebDAV on each and every
> calendar. There needs to be a list of all calendars and a user who has
> read access to all the data. Is there any way to do this automatically?
> E.g. define a user "backup" that has read access an every created
> calendar by default.
>
> I found this in the documentation:
> $c->default_relationships = array();

That setting only applies pre-0.9.8. From 0.9.8 onwards it is not
needed, because it is possible to set the default permissions granted to
'everyone' more straightforwardly.

The admin user can access any calendar, however, so you could script a
backup in that way.

Another alternative would be to create a second davical instance for
(e.g.) testing, and then restore the database to that on occasions when
you needed to pull a calendar of events that had been deleted. Since
DAViCal is using a domain-name-based configuration file it is easy to
have two DAViCal instances running the same code, but with two different
databases.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.