Mailing List Archive

DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released
Dear DAViCal community,

15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
together with AWL 0.56. This is primarily an accumulated bugfixes
release, intended to get the best of DAViCal into your hands before we
add somewhat more experimental code around email invitations from the
handle_remote_attendees branch.

Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):

Bug Fixes
=========
* Fix up Windows create-database.bat (#32)
* Import from external calendar (ics) defect (#38)
* Unable to delete event on windows phone 8.1, sends ETag=* (#46)
* Fix positive PROPPATCH response message body
* Do not create incorrect SQL in supported_locales.sql (#40)
* Imported address books will not sync via z-push (#39)
* Default "older" value for scripts/archive-old-events.php archives ALL events (#49)
* Plenty of ERRORS during "update-davical-database" (#43)
* favicon.ico passthrough security threat (#53)
* Document that YAML hates tabs (#70)
* Make "Toggle all privileges" button work on all forms
* 405 error when adding a new contact from Apple's Contacts (#72)
* Handle recurring events started before 1900 (#58)
* Fix Thunderbird mutilating external attendees

Other Changes
=============
* Translation updates, and making more strings translateable
* Add $c->support_obsolete_free_busy_property
* Allow external BIND URL to be file:///

Database Upgrade
================
* Database indexes are added in several places to improve performance on larger sites (#31)

Upgrades of Other Software
==========================
* AWL 0.56 is required for DAViCal 1.1.4

Downloading DAViCal
===================
DAViCal 1.1.4: https://gitlab.com/davical-project/davical/tags/r1.1.4
AWL 0.56: https://gitlab.com/davical-project/awl/tags/r0.56
Or see http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Downloading

Please report bugs on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/groups/davical-project

The DAViCal development team is always looking for new contributors to
help developing and documenting, testing and translating DAViCal and
AWL. Our next IRC meeting is slated for 21 January, 19:00 UTC at
#davical on the OFTC network. See you there?

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:07:14 +0100
Florian Schlichting <fsfs@debian.org> wrote:

> Dear DAViCal community,
>
> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
> together with AWL 0.56.

Let me be the first (really?) to congratulate you all and thanks for the
hard work!

-- Johan
http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 12:08:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:07:14 +0100
> Florian Schlichting <fsfs@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear DAViCal community,
>>
>> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
>> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
>> together with AWL 0.56.
>
> Let me be the first (really?) to congratulate you all and thanks for
> the
> hard work!

Johan, you are right: the dev team deserve congratulations for picking
up development and move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
by a lot of people forward.

Florian and team: good job! I will be testing when my exam period is
over and hope to be able to really contribute in the near future.

Kr,
Vincent
--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:

> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
> by a lot of people forward.

You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my opinion,
DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important role in
this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
I wrote:

> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

Oops, this should have been "dominated by privacy-threatening data-hungry

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Hi,

thanks Davical-Team, for the new version!

Jeh, of course Davical is still unique. But it might be, that some day there will be
working alternatives. If all the other projects (owncload, horde, baikal, ...)
will use the sabre-dav framework (http://sabre.io/) in a serious way.

Sabre-dav seems to be very powerful for me. (did a quick check on the website)
But I think, the use of postgres functions in davical is a good point for
fast performance and without concurrence.

Sebastian

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:26:31PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>
> > ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
> > by a lot of people forward.
>
> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my opinion,
> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important role in
> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.
>
> -- Johan
> http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Sebastian Kotthoff
Rechenzentrum
Universität Mannheim
B6, 23-29; Building B; Room 1.10
68159 Mannheim

Tel: +49 621 181 2516
Fax: +49 621 181 2682
DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Well done Florian and team!

Will this release get into the Debian / Ubuntu repositories at some
point? ("apt-cache policy davical" is still showing me 1.1.3.1-1).

Cheers

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 15:26:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>
>> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
>> by a lot of people forward.
>
> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my
> opinion,
> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important
> role in
> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

If I made it sound like that, it was not intentionally. But you know as
well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
application (admittedly, this word would have been better suited than
'piece of software') would become obsolete quite easily, given the
marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
Apple's software.

Anyway, the focus of the above sentence was on 'move forward' and the
applause the current development team deserves. Let's steer the current
thread back into that direction :)

Vincent

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Thanks a lot for all the good words everyone!

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:00:59PM +0000, Mark Davies wrote:
> Will this release get into the Debian / Ubuntu repositories at some
> point? ("apt-cache policy davical" is still showing me 1.1.3.1-1).

$ rmadison davical
debian:
davical | 0.9.9.3-0 | squeeze | source, all
davical | 1.1.1-1 | wheezy | source, all
davical | 1.1.3.1-1 | jessie-kfreebsd | source, all
davical | 1.1.3.1-1 | jessie | source, all
davical | 1.1.3.1-1 | stretch | source, all
davical | 1.1.4-1 | sid | source, all

and similarly for AWL. Unless something serious comes up unexpectedly,
DAViCal 1.1.4 will migrate to testing/stretch towards the weekend, and
will regularly be included in the next Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Next week or so I also intend to update my davical-current repo at
https://people.debian.org/~fsfs/davical-current/, which is the easiest
way for people on older Debian-based distributions to keep up with the
latest DAViCal and AWL versions. setup.sh describes what needs to be
done to set this up.

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On 01/13/2016 05:49 PM, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 15:26:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
>> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>>
>>> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
>>> by a lot of people forward.
>> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my
>> opinion,
>> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important
>> role in
>> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.
> If I made it sound like that, it was not intentionally. But you know as
> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
> application (admittedly, this word would have been better suited than
> 'piece of software') would become obsolete quite easily, given the
> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
> Apple's software.
Mmm, I do no know Apple software and Apple products..
But the main interest of Davical seems to me for synchonising Androïd
and WEB browser...

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:

> But you know as
> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
> Apple's software.

I fail to see the connection.

I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on my
private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact information.
Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.

-- Johan

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Apple's Calendar and Contacts server is open source (Apache license):
http://calendarserver.org/

DAViCal is the only community-developed server, not owned by a vendor.

Mihai

On 1/14/16 8:20 AM, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>
>> But you know as
>> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
>> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
>> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
>> Apple's software.
>
> I fail to see the connection.
>
> I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on my
> private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact information.
> Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.
>
> -- Johan

mihaic@gmail.com
The man of knowledge must be able not only to love
his enemies but also to hate his friends.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-14 17:20:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <vvh@synergylaw.be> wrote:
>
>> But you know as
>> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
>> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
>> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible
>> with
>> Apple's software.
>
> I fail to see the connection.
>
> I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on
> my
> private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact
> information.
> Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.

http://caldav.calconnect.org/implementations/servers.html

Kr,
Vincent

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Mihai and Vincent,

I stand corrected...

-- Johan

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Hello,

nice to hear about a new version of DAViCal. Month ago i switched to
Baikal as DAViCal has some issues with contacts and iOS 9. Now tried the
new version from github and unfortunately found the old bug still exists
in the 1.1.4:

Setting contact photos from iOS 9.(2-3) still don't work. After
assigning a picture to a contact on an iOS device, the picture
immediately disappears and isn't stored in DAViCal. Interestingly enough
applying/changing a picture to/of a contact via the OSX 10.11
Contact.app works!

How may I support in solving this issue?

Best regards,

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
*E-Mail:* graf.roit@gmail.com

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On 12/01/16 16:07, Florian Schlichting wrote:
> Dear DAViCal community,
>
> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
> together with AWL 0.56. This is primarily an accumulated bugfixes
> release, intended to get the best of DAViCal into your hands before we
> add somewhat more experimental code around email invitations from the
> handle_remote_attendees branch.
>
> Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):
urls http://davical.dhits.nl/ and down are not accessible,
is it only me?

many, many! thanks for all your works people, I've been on
it for ~3 years now, I even donated back then when I used it
first time :)

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:44:36AM +0000, lejeczek wrote:
> On 12/01/16 16:07, Florian Schlichting wrote:
> >
> >Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):
> urls http://davical.dhits.nl/ and down are not accessible, is it only me?

same here, the entire dhits.nl domain is inactive, not sure who needs to
be prodded to fix that?

The server itself is up and running though, so
http://wiki.davical.org/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4 gives you content
(but no stylesheets).

We should fix the setup to default to the davical.org domain, methinks!

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 07:33:06PM +0100, Graf von Roit zu Hoya wrote:
> Setting contact photos from iOS 9.(2-3) still don't work. After assigning a
> picture to a contact on an iOS device, the picture immediately disappears
> and isn't stored in DAViCal. Interestingly enough applying/changing a
> picture to/of a contact via the OSX 10.11 Contact.app works!
>
> How may I support in solving this issue?

please report a bug on our gitlab tracker
(https://gitlab.com/davical-project/davical/issues) and attach the full
($c->dbg["ALL"] = 1;) debug logs of a) iOS failing and b) OSX succeeding
to add the picture.

BTW this is true for all issues not yet documented there. Without
detailed logging, it's next to impossible to know what happens and where
things go wrong.

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Florian,

debug file and issue are submitted by gitlab tracker.

Let me know if i can assist.

Many thanks and best regards,
Rudolf

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
*E-Mail:* graf.roit@gmail.com

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released [ In reply to ]
It's working for me now; must have been a temporary outage.

It would be nice to fix the name aliasing to wiki.davical.org, but we'll
still be dependent on dhits.nl because that's where it's hosted for us.
Let's discuss in the support meeting tomorrow.

-Jim