I ask this question in case you know what’s the most proper way of doing this procedure. I explain, I see lots of cases where a customer has been using an Outlook
calendar for years. Now he/she decides to sync it with Davical with some Outlook addon like Bynari or Surgate. Perhaps the most proper way of doing this process
directly just configuring the addon and syncing could perhaps be to export to ics, import with a CalDAV client (not the Outlook add ons said before) and later with a
new pst for instance to sync the server’s content with a fresh pst and this Outlook add ons?.

How do you usually do this?. I don’t like Outlook but have lots of customers running it and without the option of using another thing and was wondering what could
be the most appropriate way of achieving this process because perhaps it’s better not to sync directly.

Another question, if you have heard or use Outlook what is the most appropriate / stable addon for using?.

Best regards,
Re: Question or advise for migrating to Davical [ In reply to ]
I have some experiences with outlook. about a year ago I tried the
ical4OL plugin, it actually worked pretty good, but it was painful to
set up and the end users didn't like it, so they ended up rolling back
out of it.

I recently set up a person with a new calendar using the bynari plugin.
outlook frequently complains about the plugin slowing it down and
tries to disable it, but otherwise it is working reliably.

I also had an office of 12 computers recently I migrated from
outlook/exchange. All the staff were happy to move to thunderbird, but
the boss there really wanted to keep using outlook because he had around
20 years of mail/calendar/contacts in it (diehard outlook user). moving
the staff to thunderbird wasn't too bad, I exported all calendars from
outlook as ics files and imported them in thuderbird. On several of
them I had to use iconv(? I think it was) to identify non-utf-8 lines,
and on most of them I had to manually delete a handful of events from
the ics file, without that most of the calendars duplicated themselves
at every refresh, but once done they worked, and continue to work, reliably.

for the one outlook user in that office, I spent a little to a lot of
time every day for weeks trying to get it working right. I tried so
many ways of exporting/importing/copying/manipulating I couldn't even
begin to list them. Importing directly through bynari wasn't the worst
of the things I tried, but it was also far from the best. I tried to
copy directly from the exchange calendar, import/export through ics,
probably a few other things. Bynari always found a handful of events to
choke on no matter what I did and had a very bad habit of causing
duplications. The best results I got were still by importing through
thunderbird to get the events loaded on the davical and then hooking
bynari to it afterwards, but after some days something would always blow
up, usually by duplicating events at every sync till it was flooding the
internet connection.

One thing about bynari is that they only offer email support on the
plugin, and it usually took them a full day to answer an email. So a
mail that went back and forth a couple times took a week to get through,
so they were essentially useless in offering any meaningful assistance.

And as painful as the calendars were for this user, address book was way
worse. Though the problem existed in both, it was much more obvious in
the contacts than in the calendar, but one of the base problems was the
dictionary/language of the text; for example, if I copied an E with an
accent aigu out of outlook, it would often paste as a japanese character
in excel or whatever program, and deleting that character would clear
that problem. But so much of his data had stupid little quirks like
that that removing them all would have removed at least 60% of his data.
However, this said, I got about 85-90% of his ~3000 contacts migrated
if I exported from outlook as csv, imported to thunderbird local address
book, exported that as a vcf file using a plugin called thundersync,
then importing them in myroundcubes carddav plugin, and removing the bad
contacts by hand when it choked. that got everything working, but
bynari still always found one (and only one) contact to throw an error
on, even though it still worked, but remove that contact it would pick
another; remove that one and it would pick another, and so on.

The solution in the end for this users was to use google
calendar/contacts. There were still some problems there, and doesn't
function with the rest of the office, but for the most part everything
just worked and he is happy. Presumably that means the same could be
made to happen in Davical, but it ended up being beyond my skill set (or
persistence level) to make it happen...

So based on my experience, I would recommend bynari for new calendars,
or calendars with few enough events that they can be manipulated, or
possibly re-entered, by hand, but I would not recommend it for anything
that is already large, nor would I lightly agree to take on the task of
migrating another user like him again...

If you have better luck, or find a better way, I am interested to hear
about it...

Re: Question or advise for migrating to Davical [ In reply to ]
Good morning Bob,

> El 24/3/2015, a las 22:24, Bob Miller <bob@computerisms.ca> escribió:
>
> I have some experiences with outlook. about a year ago I tried the
> ical4OL plugin, it actually worked pretty good, but it was painful to
> set up and the end users didn't like it, so they ended up rolling back
> out of it.

For being clear, I don’t really like this software (just an opinion)… I think are far more intuitive options… although perhaps it could work just nice!

> I recently set up a person with a new calendar using the bynari plugin.
> outlook frequently complains about the plugin slowing it down and
> tries to disable it, but otherwise it is working reliably.

Did he had another plugins running?. Any virus detection software?. Sometimes this causes problems. Have not ever seen Outlook being slowed down
with Bynari but Outlook has had some issues for months with IMAP. If you were using IMAP Outlook seemed to stay syncing (Sending and receiving) lot of
time. In Outlook 2007 and 2010 you could download only headers by default. You had to do it by selecting custom behavior at Sending and reception groups
because if you did it by selecting the option directly (although existed directly) it had no effect. Was an Outlook bug too (this immediate one I mean). As said
before Outlook was taking long time to sync till some moths now, when Microsoft made available some update which fixed this problem… and YES now this
task of syncing Outlook (you know send and receive) was taking much less time…. perhaps slightly long time but now reasonable time… comparing with
previous taking time. This slowness behavior just happens with IMAP, not with POP.

> I also had an office of 12 computers recently I migrated from
> outlook/exchange. All the staff were happy to move to thunderbird, but
> the boss there really wanted to keep using outlook because he had around
> 20 years of mail/calendar/contacts in it (diehard outlook user). moving
> the staff to thunderbird wasn't too bad, I exported all calendars from
> outlook as ics files and imported them in thuderbird. On several of
> them I had to use iconv(? I think it was) to identify non-utf-8 lines,

Outlook uses UTF-16… you know… a non standard option...

> and on most of them I had to manually delete a handful of events from
> the ics file, without that most of the calendars duplicated themselves
> at every refresh, but once done they worked, and continue to work, reliably.

The events where getting duplicated with Thunderbird?. Normally when an object (event, contact, task…) becomes duplicated
is because the etag of the element has changed, and so… the caldav/carddav clients, see it as a new different element. They don’t
understand about for example names and phones of a contact… just about the etag

> for the one outlook user in that office, I spent a little to a lot of
> time every day for weeks trying to get it working right. I tried so
> many ways of exporting/importing/copying/manipulating I couldn't even
> begin to list them. Importing directly through bynari wasn't the worst
> of the things I tried, but it was also far from the best. I tried to
> copy directly from the exchange calendar, import/export through ics,
> probably a few other things. Bynari always found a handful of events to
> choke on no matter what I did and had a very bad habit of causing
> duplications.

Normally (for future times) when Bynari duplicates is because of this etag change. Etag is changed for example when you move an element
from one folder to another… for example for solving syncing issues… after syncing properly and copying it again to the synced folder… it’s
obviously duplicated...

IMHO Bynari is a good software but you have to take huge care with it…. I explain :

It gives you lot’s of options whose consequences are not really clear. For example, the option Combine outlook elements with the server ones
it’s not clear. It’s a one use or couple of use option. It just means… take what is in the source and create in the destination IF and only IF the
element does not exist in the destination… it does not matter which version could exist in the destination… just create it if does not exist. Apart
from that, when it sends the option to create… it does it with if-none-match * header. This means and is what it does the magic of avoid uploading
if the element exists, independently of which version is at on the destination. When Davical sees an existing element in the server it returns 412 and
Precondition failed (the if-none-match precondition). This causes errors when syncing in Bynari and when you arrive (I think this is the exact number) 10
of this kind of errors Bynari stops syncing. Normally it’s better to say it : Use this source as the master and remove rest of elements not existing in source
from the destination. Later return again to save all elements by syncing both way.

> The best results I got were still by importing through
> thunderbird to get the events loaded on the davical and then hooking
> bynari to it afterwards, but after some days something would always blow
> up, usually by duplicating events at every sync till it was flooding the
> internet connection.

This duplicating events usually have it’s source with this movements I have previously said to you and having one of the combine from source to destination
or save all and sync in two way. At least in Bynari.. I assume in Thunderbird they could happen too if you do something similar. Where did you get the duplicates ? In
Thunderbird or Outlook with Bynari??

> One thing about bynari is that they only offer email support on the
> plugin, and it usually took them a full day to answer an email. So a
> mail that went back and forth a couple times took a week to get through,
> so they were essentially useless in offering any meaningful assistance.

They’re support IMHO is truly bad.

> And as painful as the calendars were for this user, address book was way
> worse. Though the problem existed in both, it was much more obvious in
> the contacts than in the calendar, but one of the base problems was the
> dictionary/language of the text; for example, if I copied an E with an
> accent aigu out of outlook, it would often paste as a japanese character
> in excel or whatever program, and deleting that character would clear
> that problem. But so much of his data had stupid little quirks like
> that that removing them all would have removed at least 60% of his data.

This is a common Issue… because when you move from Exchange/Outlook to ICS it creates the ICS too in UTF-16 I think. So… you have
to see the way of moving from UTF-16 to UTF-8 before import or just import the contacts as you can… and later to modify properly once they
added… there’s nothing really useful in this side… but you know… as Microsoft uses UTF-16…..

> However, this said, I got about 85-90% of his ~3000 contacts migrated
> if I exported from outlook as csv, imported to thunderbird local address
> book, exported that as a vcf file using a plugin called thundersync,
> then importing them in myroundcubes carddav plugin, and removing the bad
> contacts by hand when it choked.

You could try directly too by just exporting to Outlook 2003 (if you can specify) CSV and import it on Roundcube… I have used this to move from Zimbra. But yes
I think sometimes is important to convert to VCF (avoid CSV if possible) previous to importing for avoiding later when syncing with Bynari to have issues. I would
have tried to export as vcf or ics… later import it and from a new pst sync with bynari in two way. This should have worked more or less well perhaps with less effort
unless….

> that got everything working, but
> bynari still always found one (and only one) contact to throw an error
> on, even though it still worked, but remove that contact it would pick
> another; remove that one and it would pick another, and so on.

Binary after arguing with N elements… it stops syncing directly. When you fix that N (I think are ten) you will get another N and get stopped it again. For avoiding this
I would recommend pass the elements previously from Thunderbird. If that does not fix the issue… I would try to just export last year or so… from the calendar and start
from that. You can left configured in Outlook without syncing the old calendar for query aspects…. if you are doing with contacts… I think the most issue you could have
is just the encoding… due to that damn UTF-16 Microsoft uses… the main issue I think it should names badly seen… but nothing else… did you passed that addressbook
with a Thunderbird or emClient sync?? in order to that native caldav/carddav client to “adjust the existing elements to the RFC”?

> The solution in the end for this users was to use google
> calendar/contacts. There were still some problems there, and doesn't
> function with the rest of the office, but for the most part everything
> just worked and he is happy. Presumably that means the same could be
> made to happen in Davical, but it ended up being beyond my skill set (or
> persistence level) to make it happen…

I think this worked slightly better when you used Google because you probably have used a plugin made to use Google’s Caldav/CardDAV API… but nothing else… I have had
issues with google too and can become far more difficult to fix… due to not having server’s log access….

> So based on my experience, I would recommend bynari for new calendars,
> or calendars with few enough events that they can be manipulated, or
> possibly re-entered, by hand, but I would not recommend it for anything
> that is already large, nor would I lightly agree to take on the task of
> migrating another user like him again…

I think it really depends…. I have seen commercial agents importing years and years of calendar… when they have used Apple’s Calendar app. But this program is rfc compliant so there
are no issues. You could too try converting to vcf/ics before… and if that does not work… you would have to left old calendar in offline mode, and just start a new calendar importing last
year or so… and just having synced this last time… when talking about contacts you have to accept if they have “estrange” characters that you’ll have to fix them when are in an uff-8 database…
this last has not any kind of solution else….

> If you have better luck, or find a better way, I am interested to hear
> about it…

Thaaaat’s it :)

Re: Question or advise for migrating to Davical [ In reply to ]
Egoitz,

I have read your mail half a dozen times and am still digesting chunks
of it. Thank you very much for taking time and writing it...

I do not recall finding out that outlook worked in utf-16 in all the
research I did, but now that you say it, it explains a lot about the
problems I had. I was quite sure it was some kind of an encoding
problem. I guess now I will have to try another outlook migration to
see if I can master it, but even though you give bynari a good review, I
still think I will try a different outlook plugin next time....

you mention that you have problems with outlook and imap, I have seen
lots of that as well. mostly, I just set my outlook customers with pop,
but I have actually been discovering in the last year that outlook and
imap *can* be friends. For one customer I had to use it so I spent a
few hours online and researched every "fix" I could find; there were
about 15 of them. When I went and did them all, I had it working and it
has been good for almost a year now. I am kicking myself, though, I
can't find the list of things I did any more, else I would gladly share it.

@Achim,

Thanks for your response. I have not tried sogo, no. nor zimbra,
kolab, etc. Similarly, no cpanel/webmin or ipcop/pfsense. But I get
why I should and maybe some day I will....

Sigh. I seem to have a bad habit of finding the hardest path, but I
guess at least it saved me from being "just a windows guy" like all my
other colleagues...