Mailing List Archive

create database on Ubuntu
I need help with setting up Davical on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS, please. I have a working postgres (9.3) server. Apache, php etc are also in place. pg_hba.conf has been edited to give required access to davical database as specified. I am now stuck at the command to create the database. A shell script is provided for this purpose which is to be run with the command:su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.shThis prompts for a password for the user postgres. On Ubuntu, I do not have a password for the user postgres. I could set a password for this user but then I find no way of telling the pg server about this password. Indeed I have also seen through the posgresql online help and found no solution.I have also tried sudo ./create-database.shusing my password, which results in psql: FATAL: role "root" does not existpsql: FATAL: role "root" does not existpsql: FATAL: role "root" does not existpsql: FATAL: role "root" does not existpsql: FATAL: role "root" does not existcreatedb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: role "root" does not existUnable to create databasePlease advise how I can proceed with the installation.Thanks and Regards,Divakar

Do not Remove:
[HID]20141224115705670[-HID]
Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Did you try with previous steps indicated here?
http://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=Debian

(mainly "Connecting to the Database")

El 24/12/14 a les 07:27, Divakar R ha escrit:

Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Yes. I have carried out all steps up to connecting to database including restarting the postgresql server.I have also independently confirmed using psql that I am able to connect as root to the database server.However, the next step, running the create-database.sh file is where I have the problem.Regards,Divakar

ದಿವಕತರ್ ರಾಮಚನ್ದ್ರನ್ (Divakar Ramachandran)ಅಣುಪುರಮ್ (Anupuram)
From: Narcis Garcia MailId : [33799602]To: davical-general@lists.sourceforge.netSubject: Re: [Davical-general] create database on UbuntuDate: 24 Dec 2014 01:55:16 PM Did you try with previous steps indicated here?http://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=Debian(mainly "Connecting to the Database")El 24/12/14 a les 07:27, Divakar R ha escrit:> I need help with setting up Davical on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS,> please I have a working postgres (9.3) server. Apache, php etc are> also in place pg_hba.conf has been edited to give required access to> davical database as specified I am now stuck at the command to> create the database. A shell script is provided for this purpose> which is to be run with the command:> > su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh> > This prompts for a password for the user postgres. On Ubuntu, I do> not have a password for the user postgres. I could set a password> for this user but then I find no way of telling the pg server about> this password. Indeed I have also seen through the posgresql online> help and found no solution.> > I have also tried> > sudo ./create-database.sh> > using my password, which results in> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: role> "root" does not exist> Unable to create database> > > Please advise how I can proceed with the installation.> > Thanks and Regards,> Divakar> > > Do not Remove:> [HID]20141224115705670[-HID]> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,> sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your> hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a> look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net> > > > _______________________________________________> Davical-general mailing list> Davical-general@lists.sourceforge.net> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is yourhub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thoughtleadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take alook and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net_______________________________________________Davical-general mailing listDavical-general@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general.
Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
you want to create the database as user root - thats wrong

su postgres

> Yes. I have carried out all steps up to connecting to database including
> restarting the
> postgresql server.
>
> I have also independently confirmed using psql that I am able to connect
> as root to the
> database server.
>
> However, the next step, running the create-databasesh file is where I
> have the problem.
>
> Regards,
> Divakar
>
> ದಿವಕತರ್ ರಾಮಚನ್ದ್ರನ್ (Divakar Ramachandran)
> ಅಣುಪುರಮ್ (Anupuram)
> *From:* Narcis Garcia <informatica@actiu.net> MailId : [33799602]
> *To:* davical-general@lists.sourceforge.net
> *Subject: *Re: [Davical-general] create database on Ubuntu
> *Date:* 24 Dec 2014 01:55:16 PM
>
> Did you try with previous steps indicated here?
> http://wiki.davicalorg/index.php?title=Debian
>
> (mainly "Connecting to the Database")
>

> El 24/12/14 a les 07:27, Divakar R ha escrit:
> > I need help with setting up Davical on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS,
> > please I have a working postgres (9.3) server. Apache, php etc are
> > also in place pg_hba.conf has been edited to give required access to
> > davical database as specified. I am now stuck at the command to
> > create the database. A shell script is provided for this purpose
> > which is to be run with the command:
> >
> > su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh
> >
> > This prompts for a password for the user postgres. On Ubuntu, I do
> > not have a password for the user postgres. I could set a password
> > for this user but then I fistnd no way of telling the pg server about
> > this password. Indeed I have also seen through the posgresql online
> > help and found no solution.
> >
> > I have also tried
> >
> > sudo ./create-database.sh
> >
> > using my password, which results in
> >
> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
> > createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: role
> > "root" does not exist
> > Unable to create database
> >

> > Please advise how I can proceed with the installation.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Divakar
> >

> > Do not Remove:
> > [HID]20141224115705670[-HID]

> is your
> > hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought
> > leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more.
> Take a
> > look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net

> .

Gruß Michael

...der auch immer die eierlegende Wollmilchsau sucht. Aber entweder sind
die Eier faul, die Wolle verfilzt oder die Sau gehört schon längst als
Gammelfleisch entsorgt

Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Hi Divakar,

you can run create-database.sh as user 'postgres' in one of two ways:

1) when logged in as root, use
su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh
and you shouldn't need a password (root can su anywhere)

2) when logged in as your ordinary user, use sudo, but not to become
root but for the postgres user like so:
sudo -u postgres /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh

The latter should also be documented in README.Debian in the davical
package (/usr/share/doc/davical/README.Debian); if not, you are probably
using a version of davical that is too old to work with your postgres
version, and create-database.sh will throw plsql syntax errors at
you. In that case, please download and install the 'davical' and
'libawl-php' packages from Debian unstable or jessie (testing) and try
again.

Florian

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 05:29:11PM +0530, Divakar R wrote:
> Yes. I have carried out all steps up to connecting to database including restarting the postgresql server.I have also independently confirmed using psql that I am able to connect as root to the database server.However, the next step, running the create-database.sh file is where I have the problem.Regards,Divakar
>

> ????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????? (Divakar Ramachandran)???????????????????????? (Anupuram)
> [...]

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Florian Schlichting

--
Florian Schlichting Freie Universität Berlin
Fachgruppenleiter CS-X Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung

Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
I realise my mistake. I had followed Ubuntu Server guide for setting up postgresql and had the following line in pg_hba.conf: `local all postgres md5`after having set a password for postgres. It was this password that was being prompted. So I edited pg_hba.conf again to restore pg_hba.conf to `local all postgres trust` and restarted postgresql server with `sudo service postgresql restart`.After this the create-database.sh ran but with lots of errors:---start output of create-database.sh--divakar@delta:/usr/share/davical/dba$ sudo -u postgres ./create-database.sh psql:./davical.sql:39: ERROR: language "PlPgSQL" does not existpsql:./davical.sql:65: ERROR: language "PlPgSQL" does not existpsql:./davical.sql:190: ERROR: function privilege_to_bits(text[]) does not existHINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.psql:/davical.sql:200: ERROR: function privilege_to_bits(text[]) does not existHINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.Supported locales updated.Updated view: dav_principal.sql applied.CalDAV functions updated.RRULE functions updated.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 400, line 23.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 410, line 23.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 400, line 35.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 410, line 35.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship_type_rt_id_seq" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 400, line 53.DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR: relation "relationship_type_rt_id_seq" does not exist at ./update-davical-database line 410, line 53.Database permissions updated.psql:./base-data.sql:30: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not existLINE 1: INSERT INTO relationship_type ( rt_id, rt_name, confers, bit... ^psql:./base-data.sql:33: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not existLINE 1: INSERT INTO relationship_type ( rt_id, rt_name, confers, bit... ^psql:./base-data.sql:36: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not existLINE 1: INSERT INTO relationship_type ( rt_id, rt_name, confers, bit... ^psql:./base-data.sql:39: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not existLINE 1: INSERT INTO relationship_type ( rt_id, rt_name, confers, bit... ^psql:./base-data.sql:43: ERROR: relation "relationship_type" does not existLINE 1: ...pe_rt_id_seq`, (SELECT 10 UNION SELECT rt_id FROM relationsh... ^NOTE====* The password for the `admin` user has been set to `CAP8tnn4`Thanks for trying DAViCal! Check in /usr/share/doc/davical/examples/ forsome configuration examples. For help, visit #davical on irc.oftc.net.divakar@delta:/usr/share/davical/dba$ ---end output of create-database.sh--

How can I proceed further?Regards,Divakar

ದಿವಕತರ್ ರಾಮಚನ್ದ್ರನ್ (Divakar Ramachandran)ಅಣುಪುರಮ್ (Anupuram)
From: Narcis Garcia MailId : [33799602]To: davical-general@lists.sourceforge.netSubject: Re: [Davical-general] create database on UbuntuDate: 24 Dec 2014 01:55:16 PM Did you try with previous steps indicated here?http://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=Debian(mainly "Connecting to the Database")El 24/12/14 a les 07:27, Divakar R ha escrit:> I need help with setting up Davical on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS,> please I have a working postgres (9.3) server. Apache, php etc are> also in place pg_hba.conf has been edited to give required access to> davical database as specified I am now stuck at the command to> create the database. A shell script is provided for this purpose> which is to be run with the command:> > su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh> > This prompts for a password for the user postgres. On Ubuntu, I do> not have a password for the user postgres. I could set a password> for this user but then I find no way of telling the pg server about> this password. Indeed I have also seen through the posgresql online> help and found no solution.> > I have also tried> > sudo ./create-database.sh> > using my password, which results in> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: role> "root" does not exist> Unable to create database> > > Please advise how I can proceed with the installation.> > Thanks and Regards,> Divakar> > > Do not Remove:> [HID]20141224115705670[-HID]> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,> sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your> hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a> look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net> > > > _______________________________________________> Davical-general mailing list> Davical-general@lists.sourceforge.net> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is yourhub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thoughtleadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take alook and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net_______________________________________________Davical-general mailing listDavical-general@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general.
Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]

> * The password for the `admin` user has been set to `CAP8tnn4`

[SNIP]

> How can I proceed further?

Start by changing your admin password (or completely start over, maybe
these error messages are caused by previous tries-and-errors)

Vincent

Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Before running create-database.sh the second time, I had done:

psql -U postgres
# DROP DATABASE davical;
# \q

Without above step the script fails with database already exists
message. Is there anything else to be done to make a clean start?

I will be changing the admin password after crossing the next step of
configuring Apache. The server is a test machine connected only to a
test network; I hope to run davical on a different server once I am
familiar with it.

Thanks,
Divakar

Re : Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Steve. I will try this out on Friday when I get back to work.Happy Holidays,Divakar

ದಿವಕತರ್ ರಾಮಚನ್ದ್ರನ್ (Divakar Ramachandran)ಅಣುಪುರಮ್ (Anupuram)
From: steve@cafecitoyen.org MailId : [33990496]To: Divakar R Subject: Re: [Davical-general] Re : Re: create database on UbuntuDate: 24 Dec 2014 09:33:22 PM
If you`re using postgresql > 9.2 or more, you can solve this by changing in davical.sql lines 39 and 65 `PlPgSQL` to `plpgsql` (all lower case)

I`m at this point but I`ve got some other problems in admin part, but no more errors message with create-database.

regards
steve

From: Narcis Garcia MailId : [33799602]To: davical-general@lists.sourceforge.netSubject: Re: [Davical-general] create database on UbuntuDate: 24 Dec 2014 01:55:16 PM Did you try with previous steps indicated here?http://wiki.davicalorg/index.php?title=Debian(mainly "Connecting to the Database")El 24/12/14 a les 07:27, Divakar R ha escrit:> I need help with setting up Davical on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS,> please I have a working postgres (9.3) server. Apache, php etc are> also in place pg_hba.conf has been edited to give required access to> davical database as specified. I am now stuck at the command to> create the database. A shell script is provided for this purpose> which is to be run with the command:> > su postgres -c /usr/share/davical/dba/create-database.sh> > This prompts for a password for the user postgres. On Ubuntu, I do> not have a password for the user postgres. I could set a password> for this user but then I find no way of telling the pg server about> this password. Indeed I have also seen through the posgresql online> help and found no solution.> > I have also tried> > sudo ./create-database.sh> > using my password, which results in> > psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: role> "root" does not exist> Unable to create database> > > Please advise how I can proceed with the installation.> > Thanks and Regards,> Divakar> > > Do not Remove:> [HID]20141224115705670[-HID]> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,> sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your> hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a> look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net> > > > _______________________________________________> Davical-general mailing list> Davical-general@lists.sourceforge.net> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is yourhub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thoughtleadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take alook and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net_______________________________________________Davical-general mailing listDavical-general@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general.

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
PLease, update the wiki with any enhancement you find to the procedure.

El 24/12/14 a les 18:17, Divakar R ha escrit:

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: create database on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Narcis Garcia wrote on Friday 26 December 2014 02:41 PM:
> PLease, update the wiki with any enhancement you find to the procedure.

I would be glad to do this. However, I do not have a log-in account for
the wiki and get a "Permission error" when I try to create one. Also,
the installation guide updates page at
http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Installation_Guide_Update suggests
that "If you find problems with that document, please /*do not*/ write
an update in the wiki, but tell us about it on one of the Mailing Lists
<http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/DAViCal_Mailing_Lists>, or via the
DAViCal IRC Channel <http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/IRC>."

The change required in installation instructions could be as follows:

Immediately under the section heading "Creating and building the
database", add sentence "Users with PostgreSQL version 9.2 and later
must edit lines 39 and 65 in davical.sql to replace 'PlPgSQL' with
'plpgsql' (all lower case)."

This may be credited to Steve on this mailing-list who suggested the
solution.

--
Divakar