Mailing List Archive

IRC bot programmer wanted...
Hi,

I have the basics for an IRC bot to run on the #davical channel to do a
few generally helpful tasks, but I really don't have time to fully debug
it and get it going properly if I'm to work on DAViCal.

Is there someone helpful around who could take this on for me?

What I want the bot to do, is:

* Log the channel, rotating the file after a period (day / week),
possibly reformatting the logs for HTML presentation.

* Watch for stuff and indicate in channel:
- commits to various Git repositories
- recent changes to the wiki.
- bugs/comments on sourceforge.
- changes on davical.uservoice.com.

If anyone is interested, can you join the #davical channel on
irc.oftc.net and wave your hands in the air (or perhaps something more
obvious on IRC :-)

What I have currently is written in Perl using POE, and it's fairly much
stripped down to basics. We can do lots more than the above, of course.

Quite possibly this could be done with a generic bot, but my experience
suggests that these are complex to configure, and then don't actually
have the flexibility to extend them to do (e.g.) database queries and
strange off-the-wall stuff quite so easily.

And, as a special motivation, whoever comes up with the goods on this
gets to choose a fancy name for the next major DAViCal release :-)

Thanks,
Andrew.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/ Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927