is a mismatch if you got past the earlier hurdle.

Just some teething I faced this afternoon while doing another
installation of DAViCal for a workgroup...

--
Jesse Stevens
Cake Communications Pty Ltd
+61 3 8060 5248
www.cake.net.au
Incorrect info in Installation Instructions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 17:45 +1100, jesse at cake wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Seems that the latest versions of DAViCal no longer use the davical_app
> user in their scripts to setup the database and instead use the
> davical_dba user. As the instructions get you to setup a davical_app
> user the script fails to finish but still succeeds in getting part of
> the database up and running so there is a database but no data filled in.

The installation should create both users:
* davical_dba - a user to own the database tables
* davical_app - a user for the web application to access the database

> This basically leaves the installer stuck having to purge the postgres
> database and start again.
>
> The other problems is that the default (example) conf.php files suggest
> that they connect with davical_app instead of davical_dba so again there
> is a mismatch if you got past the earlier hurdle.

I think that they are correct, and that is exactly what they should do.

The intention is that the db user which owns all the tables, and
controls the structure of the database, should not be the one that is
used by the web application to access it.

Hard to know what went wrong with your installation process, but I'm
certainly happy to accept patches. From my testing, if both users are
authorised to access the database from the get-go then everything should
be fine.

On the other hand I must say that I don't normally re-init my database,
so those users always exist for me, and that sort of laborious testing
is time-consuming and not a good use of my time, since I would not make
the sort of mistakes that a beginner might.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Building more free and open source software for New Zealanders

Incorrect info in Installation Instructions [ In reply to ]
Andrew McMillan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 17:45 +1100, jesse at cake wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> Seems that the latest versions of DAViCal no longer use the davical_app
>> user in their scripts to setup the database and instead use the
>> davical_dba user. As the instructions get you to setup a davical_app
>> user the script fails to finish but still succeeds in getting part of
>> the database up and running so there is a database but no data filled in.
>>

> The installation should create both users:
> * davical_dba - a user to own the database tables
> * davical_app - a user for the web application to access the database

As far as the Instructions follow from the site, it seems only
davical_app is created.

>> This basically leaves the installer stuck having to purge the postgres
>> database and start again.
>>
>> The other problems is that the default (example) conf.php files suggest
>> that they connect with davical_app instead of davical_dba so again there
>> is a mismatch if you got past the earlier hurdle.
>>

> I think that they are correct, and that is exactly what they should do.
>
> The intention is that the db user which owns all the tables, and
> controls the structure of the database, should not be the one that is
> used by the web application to access it.
>
> Hard to know what went wrong with your installation process, but I'm
> certainly happy to accept patches. From my testing, if both users are
> authorised to access the database from the get-go then everything should
> be fine.

I've installed DAViCal many times over the last couple of years for many
clients and never had a hitch - I'm a big fan! But today it took me
several goes following the instructions word for word as I don't do them
often enough to remember the process all the way through.
> On the other hand I must say that I don't normally re-init my database,
> so those users always exist for me, and that sort of laborious testing
> is time-consuming and not a good use of my time, since I would not make
> the sort of mistakes that a beginner might.

Of course - but Postgresql is not something I use at all other than with
DAViCal so I'm not particularly handy with these kinds of database
mechanisms...

Jesse
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Incorrect info in Installation Instructions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 20:10 +1100, jesse at cake wrote:

> As far as the Instructions follow from the site, it seems only
> davical_app is created.

OK, that's true. In fact the database creation script is supposed to
create both users, so that should not be needed - probably it was
written before the database creation script did that.

I'll try and find time to review the website docs (though realistically
I'm better as a reference for someone else to review them - I know too
much, and don't think like a person doing the actual install would
think).

Cheers,
Andrew.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/ Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
It is truth which you cannot contradict; you can without any difficulty
contradict Socrates. - Plato