Mailing List Archive

When to upgrade postgresql db for 0.9.7.6 -> 0.9.8.3?
On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 01:18 +0100, Leigh Smith wrote:
> The hosted server I am running davical 0.9.7.6 on is still running
> Postgresql V8.1.18. If davical 0.9.8.X no longer supports PG V8.1 and
> I manage to convince the admins of the host to upgrade Postgresql to a
> later version, will I need to manually dump and reload the database to
> the new version or will the update-davical-database shell script do
> it?

Firstly, I'm not convinced that there really are problems with Pg 8.1.
While I have had one report of such it didn't include any useful
information that convinced me it was a Pg 8.1-specific problem.

And on the other hand I *have* had reports of people using 0.9.8.3
happily with PostgreSQL 8.1, and I've done an upgrade myself on
someone's CentOS 5.4 box where I could find no issues to date.

Of course there's always the possibility of some less-well-exercised
functionality being broken because of some code I accidentally
introduced which refers to a newer feature of PostgreSQL. That will be
a bug, and will get fixed when I understand it.

All that aside, if you do elect to upgrade to a newer PostgreSQL version
(and I do certainly recommend PostgreSQL 8.4 :-) then you will need to
do a dump and reload of the database. There are no scripts in DAViCal
to take care of this for you.

> I assume the correct sequence is to:
> 1. pg_dump the database contents,
> 2. upgrade to PG 8.2+,
> 3. reload the dump
> 4. upgrade awl
> 5. upgrade to davical 0.9.8.3
> 6. run update-davical-database shell script
> 7. run davical 0.9.8.3 to verify.
>
> I assume davical 0.9.7.6 should not be run after reloading the dump at step 3.5?

That's the correct sequence of events. If you do decide to upgrade the
database it would not be sensible to use Pg 8.2 though - you should use
the most recent stable version. If you run in an environment which uses
RPM packaging then I recommend using the packages available from the
postgresql.org website.

You could certainly run 0.9.7.6 against Pg 8.4, but it quite likely
would not work with AWL 0.41 (I haven't tested that). So you could let
people use DAViCal again after step 3, and indeed confirming things are
working at that point would be valuable information if you found it was
*not* working after step 6.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.
-- Mark Twain