Mailing List Archive

Preparing for release 0.9.8.2: Call for Translations
Hi,

> If any translators have the time over the next few days to review the
> current localisation for their language and provide me with an updated
> copy it would be greatly appreciated, and I will endeavour to include
> these into the 0.9.8.2 release.
>
> The localisation files are available here (make sure to download the
> 'raw' link):
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/tree/HEAD:/po

Finally I can add something to this project.

I'm currently revising the dutch translation. I don't have much
experience in translating, but I think I get the picture:
- translate as many msgid's into msgstr's
- every translation that you're not certain about should be preceded
with '# fuzzy'

If this is correct, I'll provide the updated dutch .po as soon as
possible here on the list.

Vincent Van Houtte
--
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
Preparing for release 0.9.8.2: Call for Translations [ In reply to ]
* Vincent Van Houtte [18/02/2010 17:16] :

> Finally I can add something to this project.
>
> I'm currently revising the dutch translation.

Ditto for the french translation.

Emmanuel
Preparing for release 0.9.8.2: Call for Translations [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I'm currently revising the dutch translation. I don't have much
> experience in translating, but I think I get the picture:
> - translate as many msgid's into msgstr's
> - every translation that you're not certain about should be preceded
> with '# fuzzy'

Dutch translation fully revised and attached.

Some remarks:
- I have seen a lot of double/triple entries. This might not be on top
of your to-do-list, but I think the number of messages can be cut down.
- I have not found a decent translation of 'principal', so I used the
existing dutch word 'principaal', but it doesn't feel right. Every
translation with this word is marked as 'fuzzy'
- there are some messages that are commented out at the bottom of the
file. Are those deprecated or should they be translated?
- there are some very hard to understand/translate messages in there,
f.e.:

"Send scheduling invitations as an organiser from the owner of this
scheduling outbox."

- and lastly, the messages are not quite unified, f.e. all of these
messages are used, but (to me) they are the same:
"You are not authorised to ..."
"You do not have appropriate rights to ..."
"You do not have sufficient access to ..."
"You may not access ..."

All of this only to help of course.

If someone could help out with the dutch translation, please be my
guest.

Vincent
Preparing for release 0.9.8.2: Call for Translations [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 19:06 +0100, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm currently revising the dutch translation. I don't have much
> > experience in translating, but I think I get the picture:
> > - translate as many msgid's into msgstr's
> > - every translation that you're not certain about should be preceded
> > with '# fuzzy'
>
> Dutch translation fully revised and attached.

Great, thanks :-)

> Some remarks:
> - I have seen a lot of double/triple entries. This might not be on top
> of your to-do-list, but I think the number of messages can be cut down.

There are many similar ones, but there should not be identical ones and
also, there are some that have "Some phrase <!-- HTML Comment -->" where
the actual translation of the comment need not be done, as it is
intended solely as an aid to translators.

> - I have not found a decent translation of 'principal', so I used the
> existing dutch word 'principaal', but it doesn't feel right. Every
> translation with this word is marked as 'fuzzy'

I can imagine this is hard to translate. The use of this word comes
from the DAV specification, and has been chosen to represent some
superset of ( users + resources + groups ) => 'things that own stuff and
access stuff'.

I imagine that many native english speakers have problems dealing with
it as well :-)

> - there are some messages that are commented out at the bottom of the
> file. Are those deprecated or should they be translated?

The messages.pot and other files are to some extent auto-maintained.
When strings existed in earlier code, but no longer exist in current
code, then they get commented out.

It's OK for you to remove them from the file if you don't think there's
anything useful there.

> - there are some very hard to understand/translate messages in there,
> f.e.:
>
> "Send scheduling invitations as an organiser from the owner of this
> scheduling outbox."

Yeah. That's the verbatim quote from the draft scheduling extensions to
caldav. I may change the english when I understand it better myself :-)

What I believe that this means is that:
(A) A principal may be delegated access to respond to invitations on
behalf of another principal (e.g. a manager's personal assistant).
(B) A principal may be delegated access to create invitations to events
on behalf of another principal.

These two delegations are separately available, and the privilege in
question is granting (B).

> - and lastly, the messages are not quite unified, f.e. all of these
> messages are used, but (to me) they are the same:
> "You are not authorised to ..."
> "You do not have appropriate rights to ..."
> "You do not have sufficient access to ..."
> "You may not access ..."

I'd be happy to see patches to tidy up my use of language for this sort
of thing. Of course when I'm writing the code I don't always see the
phrase I've used in the past, I just know what I want to say :-)

> All of this only to help of course.

Absolutely, and your contribution is indeed appreciated :-)

Thanks,
Andrew.

PS. I wonder if I should create a translation mailing list, so that we
can discuss these kinds of things separately to general discussions, and
I can regularly publish such calls. What do people think?

Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.