Mailing List Archive

Shared calendar example with 0.9.8
Hi Andrew and list,

[.
First let me say Davical is great and relatively easy to setup. Got it
running on Ubuntu 8.10 (manualy untarring and setup of davical and
awl). Here is the list of packages I had to install (might depend on
what you already have running on your server) :

apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork php5 postgresql libdbd-pgsql
libdbd-pgsql libdbi0 libdbi-perl libyaml-perl libdbd-pg-perl php5-pgsql
]

I'm trying to get shared calendars to work on 0.9.8. Normal calendars
works well with my iCal (OS X Tiger 10.5.8) and my iphone 3G under
3.1.2.

I would like to setup a shared calendar for my small company (6
users), so each of us can enter its holidays or meetings. Everyone
should have read-write on it. I have read http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions_Redesign
a few times, but can't really get it to work.

Can someone write the steps I need to do, eg :

- create user1
- create user2
- create groupA
- add user1 and user2 to groupA
- and then ????

TIA,
Charles
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Shared calendar example with 0.9.8 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 11:23 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
> Hi Andrew and list,
>

> [
> First let me say Davical is great and relatively easy to setup. Got it
> running on Ubuntu 8.10 (manualy untarring and setup of davical and
> awl). Here is the list of packages I had to install (might depend on
> what you already have running on your server) :

Any particular reason you didn't just use the debian packages? These
should work fine in Ubuntu so long as PostgreSQL >= 8.1 and PHP >= 5.1.

> I'm trying to get shared calendars to work on 0.9.8. Normal calendars
> works well with my iCal (OS X Tiger 10.5.8) and my iphone 3G under
> 3.1.2.
>
> I would like to setup a shared calendar for my small company (6
> users), so each of us can enter its holidays or meetings. Everyone
> should have read-write on it. I have read
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions_Redesign a few times, but can't
> really get it to work.

Take a look at:
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions
which is hopefully more like the sort of thing you need for setting
stuff up.

Of course the rewrite of the permissions system is a fairly large
change, and it may be that I've missed some stuff there :-)

> Can someone write the steps I need to do, eg :
>

> - create user1
> - create user2
> - create groupA
> - add user1 and user2 to groupA
> - and then ????

Logged in as admin:

Choose 'New principal' to create user 1, user 2 and groupA.

When entering the details for GroupA set the 'Principal Type' to 'Group'
and a 'Group Members' section will appear after it has been saved. Add
user1 and user2 to this group.

Then go back to edit user1 and add a 'Grant' conferring privileges to
'groupA', do similarly for user2.

In iCal you should hopefully see something appear in your 'delegations'
tab for the account after this is done.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

Shared calendar example with 0.9.8 [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

On Dec 28, 2009, at 11:59, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 11:23 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
>> Hi Andrew and list,
>>

>> [
>> First let me say Davical is great and relatively easy to setup. Got
>> it
>> running on Ubuntu 8.10 (manualy untarring and setup of davical and
>> awl). Here is the list of packages I had to install (might depend on
>> what you already have running on your server) :
>
> Any particular reason you didn't just use the debian packages? These
> should work fine in Ubuntu so long as PostgreSQL >= 8.1 and PHP >=
> 5.1.

well, I assumed this old Ubuntu release wasn't supported and did not
bother to try the packages. Me bad, I will know for the next time :-)

>> I'm trying to get shared calendars to work on 0.9.8. Normal calendars
>> works well with my iCal (OS X Tiger 10.5.8) and my iphone 3G under
>> 3.1.2.
>>
>> I would like to setup a shared calendar for my small company (6
>> users), so each of us can enter its holidays or meetings. Everyone
>> should have read-write on it. I have read
>> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions_Redesign a few times, but can't
>> really get it to work.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions
> which is hopefully more like the sort of thing you need for setting
> stuff up.

Makes more sense, thanks for the link

>> Can someone write the steps I need to do, eg :
>>

>> - create user1
>> - create user2
>> - create groupA
>> - add user1 and user2 to groupA
>> - and then ????
>
> Logged in as admin:
>
> Choose 'New principal' to create user 1, user 2 and groupA.
>
> When entering the details for GroupA set the 'Principal Type' to
> 'Group'
> and a 'Group Members' section will appear after it has been saved.
> Add
> user1 and user2 to this group.
>
> Then go back to edit user1 and add a 'Grant' conferring privileges to
> 'groupA', do similarly for user2.
>
> In iCal you should hopefully see something appear in your
> 'delegations'
> tab for the account after this is done.

yes, I got the stuff in "delegations". What I didn't know is how do I
create the shared calendar. I have now used a second OS X account to
start a separate iCal instance and play with it.

It somewhat work, even if I will need more tests to really understand
all this "granting" stuff.

Thanks for your help,
Charles
Shared calendar example with 0.9.8 [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew and list,

I have been able to create and share a calendar, so far so good.

However, I want to create many calendars for me but only share one of
them.

- If I give read-write grant to this user on my "Principal Grants",
all my calendars are shared.
- If I give the read-write only on the Collection Grant of the
calendar I want to share, no access is possible (and the delegation
list is empty in iCal).

Hints welcome...
Charles

Shared calendar example with 0.9.8 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
> Hi Andrew and list,
>
> I have been able to create and share a calendar, so far so good.
>
> However, I want to create many calendars for me but only share one of
> them.
>
> - If I give read-write grant to this user on my "Principal Grants",
> all my calendars are shared.
> - If I give the read-write only on the Collection Grant of the
> calendar I want to share, no access is possible (and the delegation
> list is empty in iCal).

This is a limitation in iCal, unfortunately - it seems they haven't
thought that someone might want per-calendar permissions.

Though it might not be visible as a delegated calendar, I think iCal
will still let you go directly to it if you set up an additional account
pointing directly at the calendar URL. Maybe. I've heard reports of
this working, but I'm not sure how well it works with 0.9.8 which
provides a lot more information back to the client and iCal may use that
to head back to the principal URL as it does.

Cheers,
Andrew.

> Hints welcome...
> Charles
>
> On Dec 28, 2009, at 13:39, Charles Bueche wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,

> >> Any particular reason you didn't just use the debian packages? These
> >> should work fine in Ubuntu so long as PostgreSQL >= 8.1 and PHP >=
> >> 5.1.
> >
> > well, I assumed this old Ubuntu release wasn't supported and did not
> > bother to try the packages. Me bad, I will know for the next time :-)

> >> Take a look at:
> >> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions
> >> which is hopefully more like the sort of thing you need for setting
> >> stuff up.
> >
> > Makes more sense, thanks for the link

> >> Logged in as admin:
> >>
> >> Choose 'New principal' to create user 1, user 2 and groupA.
> >>
> >> When entering the details for GroupA set the 'Principal Type' to
> >> 'Group'
> >> and a 'Group Members' section will appear after it has been saved.
> >> Add
> >> user1 and user2 to this group.
> >>
> >> Then go back to edit user1 and add a 'Grant' conferring privileges to
> >> 'groupA', do similarly for user2.
> >>
> >> In iCal you should hopefully see something appear in your
> >> 'delegations'
> >> tab for the account after this is done.
> >
> > yes, I got the stuff in "delegations". What I didn't know is how do I
> > create the shared calendar. I have now used a second OS X account to
> > start a separate iCal instance and play with it.
> >
> > It somewhat work, even if I will need more tests to really understand
> > all this "granting" stuff.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Charles

Save energy: be apathetic.