Mailing List Archive

Pre-release available for testing / translating
Hi Everyone,

After some time more than I'd hoped, I have pre-release packages of
0.9.8 (called 0.9.7.99) available for testing.

A few people have tested it already, and pronounced it working, but the
changes in this release are extensive and I would like to have a
reasonably broad pre-release test before pushing out a real release more
widely in a day or two.

The release notes are at:

http://wiki.davical.org/w/Release_Notes/0.9.8

The packages are at:

http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/davical/testing/

including AWL version 0.39 which is required.

If you're going to test then you may want to do it against a copy of
your database, or have a backup, since the database changes are
extensive and if the upgrade does not work in some as-yet-unknown
circumstances you might want to roll back to a working DAViCal.

Situations I have not been able to test with so far include PostgreSQL
8.1 (earlier versions than 8.1 are not supported) and PHP 5.1 (earlier
versions of PHP are no longer supported).

Also of note is that this version commences the switchover to the PDO
libraries for database access, which may introduce another dependency on
non-Debian systems.

The conversion process also *attempts* to convert the old
'relationships' into the new 'groups & grants' permission model (see
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions ) but there is an inevitable
disconnect between the two models that means the conversion cannot be
perfect. It would be good to get some idea from people, particularly
people with larger and more complex databases, if the conversion process
is doing roughly the right thing for you.

My current plans are to release 0.9.8 in the next couple of days, moving
rapidly onto 0.9.8.1 to address any bugs that are found in a wider
release, since testing so far has been generally positive.

Thanks,
Andrew McMillan.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/ Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
It is often easier to tame a wild idea than to breathe life into a
dull one. -- Alex Osborn