Mailing List Archive

Patch policy / development coordination
Hi all,

at first I wanted to append this as an afterthought to my last post,
but I thought might be more need for clarification or discussion on
the development modus operandi around here. :-)

So far, I've commited my patches into the mob branch, so that Andrew
could easily merge them
should they be deemed appropriate. But I also see the point of
discussing them here first, as
done with Matthias' stuff. I also think it might be helpful if people
submitted their work as
'git format-patch'es. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to
force anyone out of their
development habits, I just wanted to hear your (esp. Andrew's, since
he has to sort this all out)
opinions about it. :-)

And to get to my second point in the subject line, is there anywhere
we can see what everyone
(if at all) is working on right now? Sure, there's the http://wiki.davical.org/w/Road_Map
but
to me that seems more of a "general direction" thing. I also see that
there are quite a few bugs
in the SF.net bugtracker, is that the place to look?

Thanks for taking the time to read,
Best,
--
Wolfgang Herget
Patch policy / development coordination [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 12:17 +0100, Wolfgang Herget wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at first I wanted to append this as an afterthought to my last post,
> but I thought might be more need for clarification or discussion on
> the development modus operandi around here. :-)
>
> So far, I've commited my patches into the mob branch, so that Andrew
> could easily merge them should they be deemed appropriate. But I also
> see the point of discussing them here first, as done with Matthias'
> stuff. I also think it might be helpful if people submitted their work
> as 'git format-patch'es. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to
> force anyone out of their development habits, I just wanted to hear
> your (esp. Andrew's, since he has to sort this all out) opinions about
> it. :-)

Hi Wolfgang,

Unless they are simple, obvious bugfix <10 line fixes then it is nice to
have them discussed here. It's also nice if the developer can get on
IRC and chat about stuff on #davical with a more interactive to & fro.

git formatted patches are nice, but it's not critical to me.

Submitting things to the mob branch is fine too, but I need to know it
is there, so perhaps e-mail a link to the commitdiff to me, or to this
list.

Note that until I release 0.9.8 the mob branch won't be tracking HEAD
though.

> And to get to my second point in the subject line, is there anywhere
> we can see what everyone (if at all) is working on right now? Sure,
> there's the http://wiki.davical.org/w/Road_Map but to me that seems
> more of a "general direction" thing. I also see that there are quite a
> few bugs in the SF.net bugtracker, is that the place to look?

The wiki page is thoroughly out of date at the moment, and I scarcely
ever get time to look at the sf.net bugtracker which I find difficult to
use at the best of times.

I have a problem that at the moment I always hope to get through my
e-mail by 9:00am, but I regularly find I haven't got through it until
noon, or later. If I then went off and reviewed bugs I'd never actually
get any coding done at all...

If there's anyone who is interested in helping triage some of these then
that would be great. I suspect there are some on there that really need
to be looked at.

Cheers,
Andrew.

It is often easier to tame a wild idea than to breathe life into a
dull one. -- Alex Osborn