Mailing List Archive

ALOM (BREAK Requested - Access Denied) (Was: LISA 2005 attendees?)
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 11:17, John Stoffel wrote:
> I'm using the ALOM port at the hookin from my Avocent CPS16, which is
> controlled by conserver.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:

You've got a serial cable between the Avocent and the port marked SERIAL
MGT on the back of the V210, and nothing plugged into the NET MGT port?

Unfortunately, my V210's are a few hundred miles away from me at the
moment and I have them all hooked up through the NET MGT port. (they
arrived when we were short on terminal server ports, so using the ALOM
as a one-port TS made a lot of sense at the time...)

> I just get:
>
> [halt sent]
>
> BREAK Requested - Access Denied
>
> When I try to send a break. I need to do '#.' to get to the sc>
> prompt where I can do a 'break -y' and the 'console' to get back to
> the PROM level, etc.

I have not seen that, but I've only really used the NET MGT connection.

Different accounts on the ALOM can have different permissions and I
belive sending a break can be denied to an ALOM account. Did you
explicitly log in or are you just using the default login you get on the
serial port?

> sc> showsc
> Advanced Lights Out Manager v1.5.1

That's actually newer than the bits I'm currently running (1.4).

- Bill

Re: ALOM (BREAK Requested - Access Denied) (Was: LISA 2005 attendees?) [ In reply to ]
Bill> You've got a serial cable between the Avocent and the port
Bill> marked SERIAL MGT on the back of the V210, and nothing plugged
Bill> into the NET MGT port?

Correct.

Bill> Unfortunately, my V210's are a few hundred miles away from me at
Bill> the moment and I have them all hooked up through the NET MGT
Bill> port. (they arrived when we were short on terminal server
Bill> ports, so using the ALOM as a one-port TS made a lot of sense at
Bill> the time...)

>> I just get:
>>
>> [halt sent]
>>
>> BREAK Requested - Access Denied
>>
>> When I try to send a break. I need to do '#.' to get to the sc>
>> prompt where I can do a 'break -y' and the 'console' to get back to
>> the PROM level, etc.

Bill> I have not seen that, but I've only really used the NET MGT
Bill> connection.

How well do you find that the NetMGT stuff works? We're short on IPs
(sorta) so it makes more sense for us to use serial ports to manage
these boxes.

Bill> Different accounts on the ALOM can have different permissions
Bill> and I belive sending a break can be denied to an ALOM account.
Bill> Did you explicitly log in or are you just using the default
Bill> login you get on the serial port?

I'm using the default login, and since it only seems to be 'admin'
with full privs:

sc> usershow
Username Permissions Password
admin cuar Assigned

Bill> That's actually newer than the bits I'm currently running (1.4).

Ok, maybe things have changed since then. And maybe I've got it setup
that it thinks it's got the network management port setup properly.
Not sure...

John

Re: ALOM (BREAK Requested - Access Denied) (Was: LISA 2005 attendees?) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 11:40, John Stoffel wrote:
> How well do you find that the NetMGT stuff works?

Well enough that I usually don't notice it in between conserver and the
host.

> We're short on IPs (sorta) so it makes more sense for us to use serial
> ports to manage these boxes.

Fair enough; given that ALOM still hasn't been taught to speak ssh I'd
advise putting it on a segregated MGT network where that's often less of
a concern.

(I'm wondering if the people who put the labels on the hardware were
aware of the exploits of the Midget in the "Illuminatus!" books. but I
digress).

> Bill> That's actually newer than the bits I'm currently running (1.4).
>
> Ok, maybe things have changed since then. And maybe I've got it setup
> that it thinks it's got the network management port setup properly.
> Not sure...

I'll take another look at this next week when I get back into the same
building as these critters.

- Bill