Mailing List Archive

Console logging options
I have a quick question about the console logging options in conserver 8.1.
Our implementation starts conserver in daemon mode, with the -i flag. This
causes console output from each console to be logged when it is opened.
Logging terminates when the console is closed (along with the console
connection).

If the -i flag is omitted, will conserver attempt to open connections for
each console configured in conserver.cf? If so, is this different from
starting conserver with the -u flag?

Finally, if conserver is started with -U (capital "u"), is the log data
*only* written to a single unified file? Are the individual log files (one
per console) no longer available?

Thanks,

Bill
Re: Console logging options [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:25:48AM -0500, William P LePera wrote:
> If the -i flag is omitted, will conserver attempt to open connections for
> each console configured in conserver.cf?

yes.

> If so, is this different from starting conserver with the -u flag?

nope. the -u flag just adds extra logging.

> Finally, if conserver is started with -U (capital "u"), is the log
> data *only* written to a single unified file? Are the individual log
> files (one per console) no longer available?

no..you get additional output, just like the -u (all individual logfiles
as well as the extra stream).

each option is independent...if you have all consoles up (with logfiles
defined), use -u and -U, you'll have individual logfiles, "unloved"
output to stdout (or the logfile if used -L), as well as unified output
in the logfile specified with -U.

Bryan