Any suggestions, comments or "You dont need to do that !"'s

Thanks

Ethin
Re: suggestions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:49 -0400, seller jax wrote:
> 2, Purchase 2 of these 8 port usb to serial box
> (http://www.usbgear.com/8XDB9-USB.html)

I'm not big on USB -> Serial. I've never had much luck. I think that 2
PCI Comtrol boards would serve you better.

Re: suggestions [ In reply to ]

seller> Need : An out of band management solution for misc routers and
seller> firewalls in a rack.

seller> 2, Purchase 2 of these 8 port usb to serial box (
seller> http://www.usbgear.com/8XDB9-USB.html)

It's a neat idea, but expensive. Goto ebay and buy an old Cyclades or
Digi CM terminal server instead. Or get a Cyclades Cyclom PCI serial
port card. I've got an old ISA version at home and it works great,
even after all these years.

I've tried getting a USB-to-serial convertor to work with a RH FC3 box
to talk to a Palm IIIx serial hotsync cradle, but I couldn't make it
work at all. Very frustrating.

If you do the get USB->8port serial, make sure you get a promise of a
full refund if it won't work. And if it does work, let us know!

John
Re: suggestions [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:54 -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> I've tried getting a USB-to-serial convertor to work with a RH FC3 box
> to talk to a Palm IIIx serial hotsync cradle, but I couldn't make it
> work at all. Very frustrating.

I've got about 5 different models of USB->Serial adapters and have had
numerous problems. Some _only_ do 9600,N,8,1 some seem to take forever
to respond and transfers are slow. Some don't transfer at all. I don't
think anyone produces a real single adapter with a real UART.

I think that this 8 port thing might actually work. It does not seem
designed for the Winbloze crowd.

Nothing ever will beat a real serial port. eBay is a great place to get
some of these used boards even PCI ones and they typically last a very
long time. I originally bought a Comtrol 8RJ PCI for $30.

Re: suggestions [ In reply to ]
Christopher> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:54 -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

>> I've tried getting a USB-to-serial convertor to work with a RH FC3 box
>> to talk to a Palm IIIx serial hotsync cradle, but I couldn't make it
>> work at all. Very frustrating.

Christopher> I've got about 5 different models of USB->Serial adapters
Christopher> and have had numerous problems. Some _only_ do
Christopher> 9600,N,8,1 some seem to take forever to respond and
Christopher> transfers are slow. Some don't transfer at all. I don't
Christopher> think anyone produces a real single adapter with a real
Christopher> UART.

That's been my experience as well, though admittedly limited.

Christopher> I think that this 8 port thing might actually work. It
Christopher> does not seem designed for the Winbloze crowd.

If it uses the FTDI chipset, it might work just fine. I wouldn't
trust a Prolific chipset. I have a USB/Firewire external enclosre
which just sucked until I got the firmware upgrade. Months and months
later.

Christopher> Nothing ever will beat a real serial port. eBay is a
Christopher> great place to get some of these used boards even PCI
Christopher> ones and they typically last a very long time. I
Christopher> originally bought a Comtrol 8RJ PCI for $30.

Great idea, I see several for sale for around $30 with cables. I'm
tempted just because I'm not going to have an ISA port on my next
computer.

John