Mailing List Archive

SSH between Conserver host and MRV In-Reach terminal servers
Dear group,

I have been using Conserver within a private network. However, there is a
new requirement to monitor a remote console on an outside network, so I am
going to use a MRV In-Reach LX-4000 series terminal server with SSH. I am
currently using Conserver 7.2.7 with very good results (but know I'll
eventually move to 8.1.x when forced to!)

I am looking for the correct syntax to make SSH2 connections to an SSH
terminal server, like the MRV IR LX-4000. A search of the Conserver mail
list archive yeilded this good information:
--------------
David Masem masemd@bnl.gov
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:51:38 -0800 (PST)
We have a Cyclades terminal server that is using ssh only and if you use the
following command syntax:
ssh -t -2 user_name:ts_port@term.server.name
ie. # ssh -t -2 root:7001@terminalserver.dns.name

Set your pslave.conf to ssh_socket for all.protocol.

- Dave
--------------

I am guessing the conserver.cf line for an SSH terminal server should look
like this:

testconsole:|ssh -t -2 root:7002@mrv1:&:1hab

... if 7002 is the port number for port 2 on terminal server mrv1, and root
is the user (should probably be a non-privileged account) specified for ssh2
logins to mrv1.

Am I close? Is anyone doing this now?

Thanks!

Greg Brown
CSC San Diego Data Center
858-573-3322

SSH between Conserver host and MRV In-Reach terminal servers [ In reply to ]
I used SSH to an In-Reach. The trouble I had was that the In-Reach gagged
and coughed when it received 48 connection requests at one as conserver
started up. I ended up scripting some wait, and finally got the thing to
limp along. Telnet for me worked better, though less secure.

It would be nice if there were a way to tell conserver to limit initializing
connections to a rate (e.g. 3/minute).

You'll want to upgrade, too, the new execsubst/devicesubst. Makes for a
really clean conserver.cf file.

Jay McCanta

Amgen, Inc.

206-265-8335
RE: SSH between Conserver host and MRV In-Reach terminal servers [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Jay!

I will keep the simultaneous connection problem in mind, and ask MRV if they
have solved this issue. I will take your advise and start testing the
version 8 conserver code.

Greg

RE: SSH between Conserver host and MRV In-Reach terminal servers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Greg Brown wrote:

> Thanks, Jay!
>
> I will keep the simultaneous connection problem in mind, and ask MRV if they
> have solved this issue. I will take your advise and start testing the
> version 8 conserver code.

Here's my 8.1.x ssh-based console boilerplate for a one-off console:

console host.dom.edu {
type exec;
exec ssh -l username termserver.dom.edu;
rw mrgoodtech;
master host.dom.edu;
}

HTH,

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free