Mailing List Archive

Lucent PortMaster 2e config issues
Hi all,

Does anyone have the steps they take to configure a Lucent/Livingston
PortMaster 2e to work with Conserver, talking to Sun
servers/workstations?

I've found Alfredo Cabrera's port from November 2001, but I'm not sure
if it covers all the bases properly.

Here's what I'm trying now:

set <port> cd on
set <port> extended on
set <port> modem
set <port> cd off
set <port> speed 1 9600
set <port> speed 2 9600
set <port> speed 3 9600
set <port> idletime 0
set <port> hangup off
set <port> prompt :
set <port> device /dev/network
set <port> service_device telnet <tcp_port>
set <port> service_login telnet <tcp_port>

Where <port> is s1 through s20, and <tcp_port> is 2000 + (port number
* 100).

Also, from looking on Zonker's greater scoll of console knowledge,
it's not clear whether or not the PortMaster 2e passed or failed the
Break test. So guess before I put a bunch of these out in production
(replacing Xyplex MAXserver 1620 which HAVE the break problem), it
would be great to hear other people's results with these units.

Thanks,
John
John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
stoffel@lucent.com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548
Re: Lucent PortMaster 2e config issues [ In reply to ]
On 2004-01-23 at 11:30, John Stoffel (stoffel@lucent.com) wrote:

> Here's what I'm trying now:

That looks right to me. Here's a typical Sun console port:

----------------------- Current Status - Port S20 ---------------------------
Input: 203281 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 6 Framing Errors: 0
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 0
Modem Status: DCD+ CTS+

Active Configuration Default Configuration (* = Host
-------------------- --------------------- Can Override)
Port Type: Device Device
Device Service: Telnet@6020 Telnet@6020
Baud Rates: 9600 9600,9600,9600
Databits: 8 8
Stopbits: 1 1
Parity: none none
Flow Control: Xon/Xoff Xon/Xoff
Modem Control: off off
Hosts: tahoe.nccom.com default

Host Device: Network
Terminal Type: vt102
Login Prompt: login:
Login Message: ^nccom.com host (port s20):

> Also, from looking on Zonker's greater scoll of console knowledge,
> it's not clear whether or not the PortMaster 2e passed or failed the
> Break test.

Very occasionally we'll see a spurious <BREAK> if the Portmaster is
powered off. Other than that, we can pass <BREAK>s with conserver, and
otherwise the ports never see them.

We use Portmaster 2e boxes to monitor all our serial ports. They work
great and cost a lot less than buying anything new.
Re: Lucent PortMaster 2e config issues [ In reply to ]
Jim,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I've gotten my PM2e up and
running nicely, now to find a good source for connectors to go from
the DB-25 on the PM2e to our Suns using DB-25. I can hack up
connectors, but I'd prefer to find a pre-made source so I can get just
two connectors which are hooked together via Cat5 cable and do the
proper Null Modem stuff. I realize I'll need two types of connectors,
but that's ok.