Mailing List Archive

FW: handling failover advice (not sure if the first send worked)
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Doyle [mailto:michael_doyle@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: 28 November 2002 21:03
To: 'users@conserver.com'
Subject: handling failover advice

I'm after folk's thoughts and advice.

What is the best way to spread the workload across multiple Conserver
servers and allow for the event that 1 of the servers becomes
unavailable. For example if I have 2 servers available to act as
Conserver servers but want either to take the total workload in the
event of the partner failing/shutdown etc. If I share a common .cf file
across the 2 servers, splitting the consoles between the 2 servers how
do you handle either a or b being unavailable. Do you store an alternate
copy of the .cf file where the 1 remaining server controls all or is
there a better/safer way. I appreciate that manual intervention will
probably be required but I wanted to find out how other people have
covered this. Hope that makes sense.

Also do most people run the server daemon as root or can it be run
without issue as a specified user.

Any comment appreciated.