Carl Gobbo
Unix System Administrator
Carnival Cruise Lines
Re: Sun RSC console [ In reply to ]
"Gobbo, Carl (CCL)" wrote:

> Currently I have configured a few portmasters connected to our serial ports
> with conserver controlling our consoles. We have been recently expanding
> and upgrading to Sun 280R systems in our Data Center. They all come with
> the RSC port that allows remote console access. I like the added features
> of the RSC port over serial, but I don't like how it logs. I would also
> like to keep a consistent face on how to connect to all of our servers.
>
> Rather then connecting up more servers to the portmaster (we are almost at
> the point of needing yet another one), I would like to let conserver use the
> RSC network port. Does anyone have some of these configurations?

This one is remarkably easy, actually. If you think of the RSC card as a
single-port terminal server on tcp/23, you get something like this in your
config file:

somehost:!somehost-rsc@conserver-host:23:&.log:10m

You need a DNS entry for 'somehost-rsc' mapping to the IP of the RSC card.
Everything else should be obvious.

Hope this helps.

-Trevor

--
Trevor Fiatal -- trevor@seven.com -- http://www.seven.com/
Co-Founder, CSO
RE: Sun RSC console [ In reply to ]
But you would need to have a login and password for the RSC port. Then pass
the commands for console. I just have to find the time to write a script
that will connect and pass the correct commands to the rsc.

Example:
telnet somehost-rsc
Connected to somehost-rsc
Escape character is '^]'.

RSC version 2.1 (somehost-rsc)

Please login: conuser
Please Enter password:

Carl

Re: Sun RSC console [ In reply to ]
"Gobbo, Carl (CCL)" wrote:

> But you would need to have a login and password for the RSC port. Then pass
> the commands for console. I just have to find the time to write a script
> that will connect and pass the correct commands to the rsc.
>
> Example:
> telnet somehost-rsc
> Connected to somehost-rsc
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> RSC version 2.1 (somehost-rsc)
>
> Please login: conuser
> Please Enter password:
>
> rsc> console

That'd be more elegant than my solution, I suppose. We just create
a low-privileged RSC user and leave it logged in and set to 'console'
mode. It's pretty rare that the low-privilege user would get
logged out or escaped back to the RSC, so this isn't a hassle at all.

-T.