Mailing List Archive

newbie problem connecting to a solaris 10 serial using cisco terminal
Hi!
Im in a process of testing conserver.
When i try to connect to console omunix-test (solaris 10) i seems to be hanging

it worked the first time i tried but when i shoud exit the terminal i did type some strange symbols, until i find out how to exit , ctrl +Ec . after that it is not possible to connect to that console.

[m01348@omlinux ~]$ console -a omunix-test
Enter m01348@omlinux's password:
[Enter `^Ec?' for help]

my cf file looks like this.

[root@omlinux etc]# cat conserver.cf
#
# Sample conserver.cf file, to give you ideas of what you can do with
# the various configuration items.
#

### set up global access
default full { rw *; }

### define some terminal server specifics
# we set portbase and portinc so we can reference the ports in a
# physical representation and let conserver do the math to figure
# out the actual socket address
default cisco { type host; portbase 2000; portinc 1; }
default xyplex { type host; portbase 2000; portinc 100; }
default iolan { type host; portbase 10000; portinc 1; }

### set up some custom break sequences
break 4 { string "+\d+\d+"; delay 300; }
break 5 { string "\033c"; }

### set the defaults for all the consoles
# these get applied before anything else
default * {
# The '&' character is substituted with the console name
logfile /var/consoles/&;
# timestamps every hour with activity and break logging
timestamp 1hab;
# include the 'full' default
include full;
# master server is localhost
master localhost;
}

### define the first terminal server
#default MR7343{
# use the xyplex defaults
# include cisco;
# host to connect to is MR7343
# host MR7343;
# run login-xyplex when connecting to the term server
#initcmd /usr/local/sbin/login-xyplex;
#}

# now define the consoles on MR7343
# bryan isn't allowed on web1.conserver.com
#console web1.conserver.com { include ts1.conserver.com; port 2; rw !bryan; }

### define the second terminal server
# this one is a cisco, with simple socket connections
default MR7343 { include cisco; host MR7343; }

# and the consoles on ts2.conserver.com
console omunix-test { include MR7343; port 8; }

### and now some one-off consoles
# we still inherit the '*' default set
# a simple ssh invocation
console ssh {
type exec;
exec ssh omunix-test;
# provide a 'message-of-the-day'
motd "just a simple ssh to localhost";
}

# connect to /dev/ttya
#console ttya {
# type device;
# device /dev/ttya; parity none; baud 9600;
# idlestring "#";
# idletimeout 5m; # send a '#' every 5 minutes of idle
# timestamp ""; # no timestamps on this console
#}

### define a group of users
group sysadmin {

users m01348;
}

### reset the defaults for the next set of consoles
# again, these get applied before anything else
default * {
# The '&' character is substituted with the console name
logfile /var/consoles/&;
timestamp 5m;
rw sysadmin; # use the group defined above
master localhost;
}

#default cyclades {
# sets up /dev/ttyC0 through /dev/ttyC31, for a 32 port card
# referenced as ports 1 through 32
#type device;
#device /dev/ttyC.;
#devicesubst .=Pd;
#portbase -1;
#portinc 1;
#host none; # not really used, since devicesubst doesn't use it
#baud 9600;
#parity none;
#}

#console modem1.conserver.com { include cyclades; port 2; break 4; }
# todd isn't allowed on modem2.conserver.com
#console modem2.conserver.com { include cyclades; port 6; rw !todd; }

### list of clients we allow
access * {
allowed 10.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/16;
allowed XP213909.tdk.dk;
allowed cs1.conserver.com cs2.conserver.com cs3.conserver.com;
trusted 127.0.0.1;
}
[root@omlinux etc]#

Simon Jespersen
System Manager
Tel. (+ 45) 89 47 53 38
Fax (+ 45) 89 47 53 71
E-mail: sijes@tdc.dk
------------------------------
SCDCA / Command Center Aarhus
TDC Services IT
Sletvej 30
DK-8310 Tranbjerg J
Re: newbie problem connecting to a solaris 10 serial using cisco terminal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 09:37:08AM +0100, Simon Jespersen wrote:
> it worked the first time i tried but when i shoud exit the terminal i
> did type some strange symbols, until i find out how to exit , ctrl
> +Ec . after that it is not possible to connect to that console.

it sounds like the conserver parts are correct. you might have just
gotten the port "stuck" on the cisco. if you have software flow control
on and happened to hit ctrl-s, you could try typing ctrl-q to get it
going again. another option is to tell conserver to disconnect from
that port (which lets the cisco semi-reset the port, hopefully) and then
reconnect...use '^Ecd' and then '^Eco'. if things are still are hung,
then something on the host is probably confused and you may want to log
into the box via a different method (ssh?), look for processes attached
to the console, and start killing them off (to hopefully reset things).

Bryan