Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Slow PDF scanning
Hi ClamAV team and users,

I wanted to give a follow up on investigation results pertaining back to a known problem with slow PDF scanning. This problem was first caught in our system by my coworker in this thread https://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2021-November/012053.html, and I believe the same problem is documented in another thread here: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/590.

I?ve been playing around with bytecode signatures, and I found 2 official ClamAV signatures that seem to slow down PDF scanning. They are:

1. BC.Img.Exploit.CVE_2017_3124-6335443-1
2. BC.Img.Exploit.CVE_2017_3124-6335540-2

I tested this with several PDF files that timed out in previous runs. Here are the run results from before:

/ # clamdscan /tmp/slowScan.pdf
/tmp/slowScan.pdf: Heuristics.Limits.Exceeded.MaxScanTime FOUND