$ clamscan -v amazon-fp.eml
Scanning /home/alex/quarantine/amazon-fp.eml
LibClamAV info: Suspicious link found!
LibClamAV info: Real URL: https://www.amazonbusiness.com
LibClamAV info: Display URL: www.americanexpress.com
/root/quarantine/amazon-fp.eml: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Amazon/SpoofedDomain FP [ In reply to ]
That's indicating that there is a link in the email that's displaying "
www.americanexpress.com" but is actually going to "www.amazonbusiness.com".
It's hard to help without seeing the original email code.

Re: [clamav-users] Amazon/SpoofedDomain FP [ In reply to ]
You can create allow-list rules for this sort of phishing heuristic alert using WDB signatures:
https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures/PhishSigs.html#wdb-format
Phishing Signatures - ClamAV Documentation<https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures/PhishSigs.html#wdb-format>
The names of the constants are self-explanatory. These constants are defined in libclamav/phishcheck.h, you can check there for the latest flags.. There is a default set of flags that are enabled, these are currently:
docs.clamav.net
?
There are two types of WDB signatures, "X" and "M". Here are a couple extra examples, since the documentation is a bit iffy:

X:.+\.usbank-email\.com([/?].*)?:.+\.usbank\.com([/?].*)?
X:.+\.ebay\.(ca|com)([/?].*)?:ebay\.caorebay\.com([/?].*)?
M:www.postfinance.info:www.postfinance.ch
M:www.deliverymail.com:media.monster.com

If you want to see more, create an empty directory and open terminal in the directory. Then run:
sigtool --unpack /var/lib/clamav/daily.cld?
(or whatever path to your daily CVD/CLD file).

It will drop a bunch of signature files in your current directory. Open daily.wdb? and you'll see a much larger list. Some are more complicated because they use various country codes in the domains, others are less so.

If you craft a signature and would like Talos to distribute in the official databases, you can upload it to https://www.clamav.net/reports/signature

For anyone interested in submitting signatures, we manually review signature submissions. Sometimes signatures cannot be accepted or need to be revised because they are FP-prone. We will let you know when changes to the signatures are required.

Best regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
________________________________
That's indicating that there is a link in the email that's displaying "www.americanexpress.com<http://www.americanexpress.com>" but is actually going to "www.amazonbusiness.com<http://www.amazonbusiness.com>". It's hard to help without seeing the original email code.

LibClamAV info: Display URL: www.americanexpress.com<http://www.americanexpress.com>

Re: [clamav-users] Amazon/SpoofedDomain FP [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022, Alex via clamav-users wrote:

> The link description is a URL and apparently doesn't match the link
> itself, resulting in email from Amazon Business being marked as
> malicious. Do I just add this to some kind of allow/bypass list?
> How do I go about doing that?

Micah has given you plenty to go on. I'd add that you can search the
docs online, for example:

https://docs.clamav.net/?search=false%20positive

To prevent all such detections, see 'PhishingScanURLs' in the man page
for clamd.conf.

Personally I wouldn't take any action at all. I'm quite happy to
reject mail if there's a chance that it might educate the sender.

Admittedly, in this case, the chance is rather a slim one.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Amazon/SpoofedDomain FP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> Micah has given you plenty to go on. I'd add that you can search the
> docs online, for example:
>
> https://docs.clamav.net/?search=false%20positive
>
> To prevent all such detections, see 'PhishingScanURLs' in the man page
> for clamd.conf.

Thank you both for your help. The following patterns both work to address this:

X:.+\.amazonbusiness\.com:www\.americanexpress\.com
M:www.amazonbusiness.com:www.americanexpress.com

I recalled doing this kind of thing many years ago, but couldn't find
my references to it. It's now come back to me and I've found some
further notes. I'll continue to study the regexes and documentation.

> Personally I wouldn't take any action at all. I'm quite happy to
> reject mail if there's a chance that it might educate the sender.
>
> Admittedly, in this case, the chance is rather a slim one.

Yeah, in this case, only the recipient suffers.

Thanks,
Alex