Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Configuration Error
Hi Team,

I have run the configuration command, after installation of
clamav-0.104.0-rc2.macos.universal.pkg, to generate the conf files from the
default configuration. I get no output errors and it looks like all is
well, however when I run clamconf I get the following message:

vaughna.hart@NaCl4 ~ % clamconf -g clamav-milter.conf > clamav-milter.conf

vaughna.hart@NaCl4 ~ % clamconf -g clamd.conf > clamd.conf

vaughna.hart@NaCl4 ~ % clamconf -g freshclam.conf > freshclam.conf

vaughna.hart@NaCl4 ~ % clamconf

Checking configuration files in /usr/local/clamav/etc

clamd.conf not found

freshclam.conf not found

clamav-milter.conf not found

Software settings

-----------------

Version: 0.104.0-rc2

Optional features supported: AUTOIT_EA06 BZIP2 LIBXML2 PCRE2 ICONV JSON

Database information

--------------------

Database directory: /usr/local/clamav/share/clamav

WARNING: freshclam.conf and clamd.conf point to different database
directories

print_dbs: Can't open directory /usr/local/clamav/share/clamav

Platform information

--------------------

uname: Darwin 20.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Wed Jun 23 00:26:27 PDT
2021; root arm64

OS: Darwin, ARCH: arm64, CPU: arm64

zlib version: 1.2.11 (1.2.11), compile flags: a9

platform id: 0x04038c8c0800000000040201

Build information

-----------------

Clang: Apple LLVM 12.0.5 (clang-1205.0.22.11) (4.2.1)

sizeof(void*) = 8

Engine flevel: 140, dconf: 140

I am concerned about the database location message. This is on 11.5.2 on an
M1.

Thanks!

-Vaughn
--

Vaughn A. Hart
General Manager
Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021, Vaughn A. Hart wrote:

> I have run the configuration command, after installation of
> clamav-0.104.0-rc2.macos.universal.pkg,

Please tell us exactly how you installed the package.

Have you installed any previous version of ClamAV? In particular,
have you previously installed any version 0.104 release candidate?
Are you aware that a release candidate is not ready for production
use - especially a 0.104 release candidate - and that there may be
things in the package which do not behave as might be expected?

> to generate the conf files from the default configuration.

Although I have never installed ClamAV on a Mac, I believe that the
installation should normally create configuration files for you, and
that you should not need to run 'clamconf' to create them. I have
only ever run clamconf to show configuration settings. The online
documentation may be a little misleading in this respect, it says run
these commands "if needed" - it's probably not needed. (Incidentally
it also doesn't mention clamav-milter.conf in section "Clamconf".)

> I get no output errors and it looks like all is
> well, however when I run clamconf I get the following message:
> vaughna.hart@NaCl4 ~ % clamconf
>
> Checking configuration files in /usr/local/clamav/etc
>
> clamd.conf not found
> freshclam.conf not found
> clamav-milter.conf not found
> WARNING: freshclam.conf and clamd.conf point to different database
> directories
> I am concerned about the database location message.

You are right to be concerned. In addition to answering the questions
above, please post the output of

clamconf -n

You can redirect the output of 'clamconf -n' to a file (use the command

clamconf -n > file

and post the content of the file) if you are unable to copy-and-paste
the entire output from stdout to your mailer.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Vaughn,

As Ged mentioned, it is not necessary to run clamconf in order to gererate any conf flies. Installation takes care of all that.

In order to see the freshclam.conf info, you need to run it as root;

sudo clamconf

clamav-milter is a third party ClamAV tool, so if you didn't install it, there won't be any clamav-milter.conf.

-Al-
--
ClamXav user

You have to run clamconf this way in order to pickup freshclam.conf

Powered by Mailbutler <https://www.mailbutler.io/?utm_source=watermark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=watermark-essential-email>, the email extension that does it all
Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Sorry, it's the clamd.conf file that normally requires clamconf to be run as root.

-Al-

=============

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml <http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml>

Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

Most of this seems relevant to the OP - I think the official
documentation may have confused him.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Al Varnell via clamav-users wrote:

> ... clamav-milter is a third party ClamAV tool ...

Although I no longer use clamav-milter, this has been needling
something at the back of my brain, off and on, for a while now.

Indeed as Mr. Varnell says, according to

https://www.clamav.net/downloads#otherversions

under the section "Third Party ClamAV Tools"

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
The software listed in this section is authored by third parties and
not by the ClamAV Team. Compatibility may vary. ...
Sendmail
clamav-milter | libclamav
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

so that does seem to imply that clamav-milter is considered to be one
of the third-party tools.

However, according to

https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Usage/Configuration.html#clamav-milterconf

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
ClamAV includes a mail filtering tool called clamav-milter.
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

and according to

https://docs.clamav.net/appendix/Terminology.html#clamav-components

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
ClamAV-Milter is a daemon that performs email filter scanning through clamd."
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

and

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
Client applications for clamd include clamdtop, clamdscan, clamav-milter,
and clamonacc. The socket interface is documented and there are also a
variety of third-party clients for clamd.
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

and according to

https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Community-projects.html#mail-filters

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
The ClamAV Team maintains ClamAV-Milter ...
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

not to mention the fact that clamav-milter is in the downloaded tarball

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
$ ls -lrt .../clamav-0.104.0-rc | tail -n 2
drwxr-xr-x 2 ged ged 4096 Jul 21 18:19 clamav-milter
drwxr-xr-x 25 ged ged 4096 Jul 23 17:23 build
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

(although in 0.104.x it doesn't necessarily get built) and

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
$ head clamav-0.104.0-rc/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.c
/*
* Copyright (C) 2013-2021 Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
* Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Sourcefire, Inc.
*
* Author: aCaB <acab@clamav.net>
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
* published by the Free Software Foundation.
*
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems a bit schizophrenic. What's the official position?

Incidentally I see at

https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Packages.html

that

"As of 0.103.x, a from-source install requires the user create a
config for FreshClam, ClamD, and ClamAV-Milter in order to use each
application. A package install, however, is likely to come
pre-configured. Users may wish to modify the configs as needed."

It was an accident that I found this, and it was a bit of a surprise
since AFAICT it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in NEWS.md, the
ClamAV blog nor any announcement. Have I missed something?

Finally while collecting this information I accidentally visited

https://clamav.net/

which my browser complains is using certificate serial number

7B:9E:58:34:A0:F9:17:76:25:F6:A4:11:97:19:9F:3E

which expired on 23 October 2013.

Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Nicolas Van Zeebroeck wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 at 13:47, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
> >
> > Most of this seems relevant to the OP ...
>
> I've been receiving this communication by mistake.
> Nicolas Van Zeebroeck
>
> Admin and IT Coordinator
>
> +32 495 12 02 40
>
> <https://www.n-side.com>
>
> [image: N-SIDE Corporate mail banner]
> <https://www.n-side.com/mail-redirection-corporate/>
> Groups 'External tooling management' group. To unsubscribe from
> this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> ext-tooling+unsubscribe@n-side.com.

Seems like you're looking in the wrong place.

Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
"As of 0.103.x, a from-source install requires the user create a
config for FreshClam, ClamD, and ClamAV-Milter in order to use each
application. A package install, however, is likely to come
pre-configured. Users may wish to modify the configs as needed."

It was an accident that I found this, and it was a bit of a surprise
since AFAICT it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in NEWS.md, the
ClamAV blog nor any announcement. Have I missed something?

Maybe this needs to be reworded. The behavior didn't change in 0.103. A from-source install has always required manual configuration, while the packages provided by the Linux distros tend to come pre-configured.

I would like to change the default behavior so that freshclam and clamd do not require a .conf file to function, but only require a .conf file if the user wants to customize the behavior. I'm not sure when we'll get to make that change.

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
________________________________

Re: [clamav-users] Configuration Error [ In reply to ]
Hi Vaughn,

Thanks for testing the RC2 and for writing in!

The intention is to install the macOS packages under /usr/local/clamav so they can be easily removed, because there is no easy way to uninstall the macOS package at this time other than to rm? the files (or if it had installed as intended, the /usr/local/clamav directory).

There was a configuration issue with our build pipeline for building the macOS PKG for 0.104.0-rc2. By mistake, the install prefix and packaging install prefix for the macOS build did not match, so it actually installed to /usr/local instead of /usr/local/clamav. I have verified that the issue has been fixed for the PKG for the final release.

I apologize for the issue. If you installed with the clamav-0.104.0-rc2.macos.universal.pkg installer and wish to remove it, you may need to individually remove:

* clam*, freshclam, and sigtool files from /usr/local/bin,
* clamd from /usr/local/sbin,
* libclam*, libfreshclam* files from /usr/local/lib,
* libclamav.pc file from /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig,
* clamav* files from /usr/local/include,
* plus the database directory /usr/local/share/clamav, if it exists.
This command should take care of it. Please take care when copy/pasting this command as a mistake when running `rm -rf` with sudo could be catastrophic:
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/freshclam /usr/local/bin/clam* /usr/local/bin/sigtool /usr/local/sbin/clamd /usr/local/lib/libclam* /usr/local/lib/libfreshclam.* /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libclamav.pc /usr/local/share/doc/ClamAV /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf* /usr/local/etc/clam* /usr/local/share/clamav
The install path for the 0.104.0 macOS package for the stable release will be /usr/local/clamav, so that it is easier to remove. In a future release, I would also like to include an uninstaller script for macOS but sadly I don’t have anything ready today.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development