I followed the install instructions on the website, and I want to configure some onaccess features. However, my clamd.conf file does not have any of the on access features listed. The on access guide says the features should be on line 600 and my file ends around like 80. I am not sure what I did wrong. Would you be able to point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Keaten Perkins
Systems Administrator | IT
Space Dynamics Laboratory
1695 North Research Park Way
North Logan, Utah 84341
Office: 435.713.3782
[http://www.sdl.usu.edu/images/sdl-wordmark.png]
Re: [clamav-users] onaccess missing [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, Keaten Perkins via clamav-users wrote:

> I followed the install instructions on the website, and I want to
> configure some onaccess features. However, my clamd.conf file does
> not have any of the on access features listed. The on access guide
> says the features should be on line 600 ...

Which document says that? Does it give a publication date?

> my file ends around like 80. I am not sure what I did wrong. Would
> you be able to point me in the right direction? Thank you.

We know nothing except what you tell us, and you haven't even told us
what operating system you are using. Please give more details.

If, as I suspect, your operating system is Windows, you're out of luck.
Please read

https://www.clamav.net/documents/on-access-scanning

If your operating system is NOT Windows, please read my other posts to
this list in the past day or so for more information about the sort of
detail required for us to be able to help you better.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] onaccess missing [ In reply to ]
I apologize, I installed it via the steps listed in the install guide for both Ubuntu and CentOS linux boxes. It is Ubuntu 16 LTS and CentOS 6, 7, and 8.

The document that says on access scanning starts at line 600 is here: https://www.clamav.net/documents/configuration#clamdconf
If you ctr+f on access it is in the explanation below the bold heading.

Re: [clamav-users] onaccess missing [ In reply to ]
Hi Keaten,

It sounds as though you may have a pre-configured clamd.conf file. Some of the distros provide these. A from-source installation doesn't provide clamd.conf, but instead provides sample configs which you may copy and modify for your installation. Please see https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-devel/tree/clamav-0.102.2/etc for the 0.102.2 sample configs.

I should mention that on-access scanning saw a significant update in ClamAV 0.102. To improve stability and security, we migrated on-access scanning features into a separate daemon utility called "clamonacc". Clamonacc makes use of the same configuration items as before in clamd.conf. Please see https://www.clamav.net/documents/on-access-scanning for details.

Important: Older linux distributions, particularly older enterprise distributions, do not carry a new enough version of libcurl to support clamonacc features. For context, I believe centos 7 provides libcurl 7.29.0. As per recommendations made by Jeff Blaine, here: https://lists.gt.net/clamav/users/78792, we are currently working on lowering the libcurl version requirements for clamonacc from the current hard requirement for libcurl 7.45+. We unfortunately won't be able to remove them entirely, as the feature we use for fd-passing requires at least libcurl v7.40 to function. Fd-passing is a technique that has a significant scan speed advantage over file streaming and is likely desired by most users. There is good news, however. It is a straightforward procedure to install libcurl from source, and then build and install clamav using this configure option, as noted in the on-access-scanning documentation above:

./configure --with-libcurl=<libcurl install prefix>

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Re: [clamav-users] onaccess missing [ In reply to ]
> I installed it via the steps listed in the install guide for both
> Ubuntu and CentOS linux boxes. It is Ubuntu 16 LTS and
> CentOS 6, 7, and 8.

Fortunately there are 3rd party *current* RPMs of CURL for CentOS:

https://curl.haxx.se/download.html

(Note: Look under Redhat)

Then you can grab the clamav source rpm, update it to the latest
version of clamav and build with the new onaccess scanning.