Data read: 0.00 MB (ratio 0.00:1)
Time: 110.135 sec (1 m 50 s)
[root@wclceste5 pcre]#
Re: [clamav-users] new clamav definitions arent working with current install [ In reply to ]
You absolutely must upgrade. While the issue at hand is probably because your libpcre package is older and can’t handle newer features used in the current database, I must stress that 0.99.2 has unpatched publicly known vulnerabilities. Scanning untrusted user content carries an inherent risk and doubly so for product versions with disclosed vulnerabilities. I should also note that RHEL 5 is also past end-of-life, meaning ClamAV probably isn’t the only unpatched package on your system. Even RHEL 6 is coming up on EOL this November.

I have a vague recollection that ClamAV behavior changed in 0.100 to skip signatures that fail to load – rather than failing to load the entire database. It doesn’t help you, but from my perspective there isn’t much I can do to improve ClamAV to avoid this issue in the future.

I also don’t think that re-writing the regex signatures to be compatible with older libcpre versions is in the cards. It’s not my call, but I wouldn’t recommend investing the time either.

Please, just find a way to upgrade.

Regards,
Micah