Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Download timeout/retry issue
Last month I had a problem with freshclam. It would timeout downloading
its files and retry. Continuously. It wiped out my monthly data quota.

I fixed the problem by changing the timeout from 30 to 0 in freshclam.conf.

Last night's update replaced freshclam.conf with a new copy, changing
the timeout back to 30.

Between 8pm last night and 10am today my data quota was exhausted again.
I'm now limited to 12KBS til the end of the month.

My satellite Internet connection is good for 12Mbs, which limits my
download speed to about 1.2MBS. Thus the 60+MB file that freshclam
wants can never be acquired in 30 seconds.

The default timeout needs to be at least 120 seconds to allow for slow
speeds.

Not happy

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Download timeout/retry issue [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/2020 09:24, Jim Householder wrote:
> Last month I had a problem with freshclam.  It would timeout
> downloading its files and retry.  Continuously.  It wiped out my
> monthly data quota.
>
> I fixed the problem by changing the timeout from 30 to 0 in
> freshclam.conf.
>
> Last night's update replaced freshclam.conf with a new copy, changing
> the timeout back to 30.
>
> Between 8pm last night and 10am today my data quota was exhausted
> again.  I'm now limited to 12KBS til the end of the month.
>
> My satellite Internet connection is good for 12Mbs, which limits my
> download speed to about 1.2MBS.  Thus the 60+MB file that freshclam
> wants can never be acquired in 30 seconds.
>
> The default timeout needs to be at least 120 seconds to allow for slow
> speeds.
>
> Not happy

I just read from the latest 0.102.2 update notes posted to the list last
week that:

• Changed the default freshclam ReceiveTimeout setting to 0 (infinite).
The ReceiveTimeout had caused needless database update failures for
users with slower internet connections.

Good luck,
Reio