Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Any windows user here?
Any windows user here? Any windows user with Clamav as the only av?

Re: [clamav-users] Any windows user here? [ In reply to ]
Yes and maybe, but not me.

paul

Re: [clamav-users] Any windows user here? [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020, ????? ???????????????? via clamav-users wrote:

> Any windows user here?

Undoubtedly.

This list is mostly read by users of Unix-type operating systems but I
believe that ClamAV has many Windows users. Although I've managed
many Windows machines I've never actually run ClamAV on a Windows box
so I can't really help much with that. There are people who package
the tools specifically for Windows, you might want to search for them.

Even when ClamAV runs on Linux, a great deal (and perhaps even most)
of the nasty stuff that it's looking for will be intended for Windows
machines. So a Linux box that's scanning mail, or shared storage, or
USB devices or whatever is ideally placed to look for Windows malware,
not least because it's immune to said malware. But however you look
at it, getting to grips with Linux is quite a substantial task, and,
just because a Linux box is easier (assuming that you know what you're
doing) to harden against threats than a Windows box, that doesn't mean
it's immune to _all_ malware - and it's easy to damage a Linux system
by running ClamAV with a badly-conceived configuration (which is in my
view, most of the time, likely a bigger danger than any Linux malware).

> Any windows user with Clamav as the only av?

I wouldn't recommend that, but then I wouldn't recommend relying on a
package installed on any machine to protect that same machine from the
many threats which are now very commonly seen. Far better to have the
system protected by multiple, completely different, hardened systems.

For example, connections to my mail servers have to get through three
firewalls on three totally different sets of hardware before the mail
is even contemplated by the MTA; then it must take its chances with my
GeoIP, ASN and other mail filtering; only after that is it scanned by
clamd - primarily for spam, only incidentally for malware - before it
has any chance of being delivered.

The threats now are a pandemic. A protection system with potentially
a single point of failure won't cut it.

--

73,
Ged.