Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Freshclam 0.102.1 ignores "--disable-ipv6"
Even though I built the latest ClamAV (0.102.1) with the 'configure'
option "--disable-ipv6", freshclam tried using IPv6 addresses when it
failed to connect via IPv4 due to a firewall rule (which I now changed
to allow port 443 as well as port 80).

This rule was part of hardening our mail server a bit by blocking most
outbound connections, so I had added explicit pass-thru for the
clamav.net IPv4 addresses -- previously only port 80, now also 443.
(And I had to allow these outbound connections because my previous
attempts at local mirroring collapsed with the switch to Cloudflare:
the CVD files on the BOS Cloudflare mirror seemed to be out of date a
lot, as discussed in my previous postings).

P.S. As far as I can tell, disallowing IPv6 everywhere within, in to
and out of our small LAN, does not block anything of importance. Does
anyone know of anything on the Internet that is IPv6 *only*, and is
important enough to justify spending weeks of work rebuilding our
firewall (not to mention reconfiguring everything else)?

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam 0.102.1 ignores "--disable-ipv6" [ In reply to ]
I’m fairly certain this was previously discussed. Might want to check the archives.

I have not run across any site yet that is IPv6 only, but I suspect users in Asia have.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam 0.102.1 ignores "--disable-ipv6" [ In reply to ]
I looked back in the list a bit, and found some mentions of freshclam
and IPv6, but not this issue specifically.

The fact that freshclam ignores the "--disable-ipv6" option probably
won't be a problem in practice -- as long as the IPv4 connections to
ClamAV.net work -- but it is annoying, and clearly a (minor) bug.

There are some other services, like NTP, X, VNC and RSYNCD, that insist
on binding to IPv6, even though *none* of our interfaces have it, but
they only *listen*, and thus yield no error msgs.