I have been using cvd signature files but over the last couple of days,
I've seen the daily.cvd disappear and be replaced with the much larger
daily.cld file. If I delete the daily.cld then run freshclam I receive
the daily.cvd again, but it has switched to the cld file a couple of
times recently. Do you know what is going on?

I am running 0.101.5.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] daily.cld and cvd query/issue [ In reply to ]
Hmm. I can see I have the default CompressLocalDatabase, so "no". I
thought from recent threads the compressed database was faster to load
into clamd. What are the pros and cons of compressing this database (and
main.cvd)?

BTW I love the start up speed up in 0.101.5.

Re: [clamav-users] daily.cld and cvd query/issue [ In reply to ]
> I have been using cvd signature files but over the last couple of days,
> I've seen the daily.cvd disappear and be replaced with the much larger
> daily.cld file. If I delete the daily.cld then run freshclam I receive
> the daily.cvd again, but it has switched to the cld file a couple of
> times recently. Do you know what is going on?

The .cvd files are the signed, compressed, files from ClamAV...

The .cld files have had patches (cdiff's) applied to them on your
machine, and by default are no longer compressed.

> Hmm. I can see I have the default CompressLocalDatabase, so "no". I
> thought from recent threads the compressed database was faster to load
> into clamd. What are the pros and cons of compressing this database (and
> main.cvd)?

I can't comment on speed... But I set mine to compress, however be
aware the file extension will still be .cld if updates are applied.

Obviously a con is the additional CPU usage to decompress, patch, and
re-compress the update. The upside being smaller files.

Obviously you only want one of each file, I believe clamav will
complain if for instance both daily.cvd & daily.cld exist.