Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Does ClamAV detect stalkerware?
Hi all,

first of all, what is stalkerware?
https://stopstalkerware.org/about/what-is-stalkerware/

Kaspersky, for one, detect it since April:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbw9g8/kaspersky-lab-alert-stalkerware-domestic-abuse

Now, I don't even know whether ClamAV runs on Android (I'm the proud user of a Nokia 2760). However, I'd like to be able to catch any stalkerware in email attachments or shared files. That's why I'm asking.

Best
Ale

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Does ClamAV detect stalkerware? [ In reply to ]
On Nov 23, 2019, at 00:29, Alessandro Vesely via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> Now, I don't even know whether ClamAV runs on Android (I'm the proud user of a Nokia 2760). However, I'd like to be able to catch any stalkerware in email attachments or shared files. That's why I'm asking.
>

> Best
> Ale

I am reasonably certain that it doesn't run on your Nokia and don't see any third party adaptations or tools at the bottom of this page available for your phone
<https://www.clamav.net/downloads <https://www.clamav.net/downloads>>

But there are 358,990 signatures that identify all types of Android malware. You would therefore need to run it on a computer subscribed to your email account to catch any attachments and if your phone is backed up to the computer, it should also report the presence of any malicious apps that you have installed on the phone.

There could also be some 3rd party UNOFFICIAL signature available for android, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know.

-Al-
ClamXAV user
Re: [clamav-users] Does ClamAV detect stalkerware? [ In reply to ]
On Sat 23/Nov/2019 11:00:46 +0100 Al Varnell via clamav-users wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2019, at 00:29, Alessandro Vesely via clamav-users wrote:
>>
>> Now, I don't even know whether ClamAV runs on Android (I'm the proud user of
>> a Nokia 2760).  However, I'd like to be able to catch any stalkerware in
>> email attachments or shared files.  That's why I'm asking.
>>

> I am reasonably certain that it doesn't run on your Nokia and don't see any
> third party adaptations or tools at the bottom of this page available for your
> phone
> <https://www.clamav.net/downloads>

:-) That's exactly the reason why I still use that phone.

> But there are 358,990 signatures that identify all types of Android malware.
> You would therefore need to run it on a computer subscribed to your email
> account to catch any attachments and if your phone is backed up to the
> computer, it should also report the presence of any malicious apps that you
> have installed on the phone.

Fine, that was my concern. Thank you for the reassurance.

Why, then, doesn't ClamAV partner with stalkerware[*], along with EFF, Avira,
Kaspersky, and various other organizations? Or why they needed to form such a
coalition, if joining isn't deemed to be worth.

[*] https://stopstalkerware.org/partners/become-partner/

Best
Ale