Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0
Hello list

Previous versions built perfectly, but on same build host 0.102.0 does
not build clamav-milter, but also does not show any obvious error
message as to why not.

Build hosts: Centos 6 (CentOS release 6.10 (Final)) and Centos 7 (CentOS
Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)) - admitted, I should maybe update the C7
box to 7.7 first, but I highly doubt this will solve my problem. Clamav
0.101.4 was very happy to build clamav-milter on that very foundation.

configure is run as always, with the exception these ancient systems
won't support clamonacc out of the box. But as it is not needed I felt
it's safe to disable it:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-milter --disable-clamonacc
[..]
configure: Summary of optional tools
clamdtop : yes (-lncurses)
milter : yes ()
clamsubmit : yes (libjson-c-dev found at /usr)
clamonacc : no (disabled)

So configure claims it'll build my milter...

However, all make has to say about milter:
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

What am I missing?

If my curl is too old, so is maybe make or gcc?
$ make --version
GNU Make 3.82
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-36)
but in such cases I'd expect a loud error message, compile abort yada
yada - not awkward output silence.

Any ideas? Any additional information needed?

Best regards
lukn

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi lukn,

You're not missing something. It appears that configure changes between ClamAV 0.102.0-rc and 0.102.0 broke building of clamav-milter.

We will identify the exact issue and include a fix for it in a 0.102.1 patch release along with one or two other bug fixes.
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Regards
Micah

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Thank you Micah
In that case I'll just lean back and wait for the bugfix release :-)

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Micah,

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:

> We will identify the exact issue and include a fix for it in a
> 0.102.1 patch release along with one or two other bug fixes.

If you can squeeze in a check somewhere that the temporary directory
exists and is writeable by clamd that might save some grief.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Ged,

Can you be more specific? I just got up, drinking my first cup of tea (ran out of coffee), but issue isn't ringing any bells with me at the moment.

-Micah

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Micah,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) wrote:
> On 10/6/19, 11:39 AM, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2019, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:
> > >
> > > We will identify the exact issue and include a fix for it in a
> > > 0.102.1 patch release along with one or two other bug fixes.
> >
> > If you can squeeze in a check somewhere that the temporary directory
> > exists and is writeable by clamd that might save some grief.
>
> Can you be more specific? I just got up, drinking my first cup of
> tea (ran out of coffee), but issue isn't ringing any bells with me
> at the moment.

I came across this at the weekend, while I was moving a clamd instance
between machines. Preparation for the move included telling my milter
that it would use TCP instead of a Unix domain socket, and while clamd
was running on the same host as the MTA using 127.0.0.1 everything was
peachy. But after copying the binary to a different host, it all went
belly-up. A Wireshark trace showed that after the command (the milter
uses INSTREAM) and the data to be scanned were sent OK, instead of the
expected reply the clamd instance would close the connection and issue
a RST with no explanation. As it turned out clamd could not write the
temporary files which it has to write for the scan. There was nothing
in the logs, even with debug set for both clamd and for LibClamAV. So
I chowned the relevant directory, problem solved. It took me too long
and if I hadn't also run out of tea I might have spotted it quicker. :(

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hello Micah,

2019?10?3???? Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users <
clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> Hi lukn,
>
> You're not missing something. It appears that configure changes between
> ClamAV 0.102.0-rc and 0.102.0 broke building of clamav-milter.
>
> We will identify the exact issue and include a fix for it in a 0.102.1
> patch release along with one or two other bug fixes.
> I'm sorry for the confusion.
>
> Regards
> Micah

Would you mind my asking current status of 0.102.1 patch release?

I'm a maintainer of FreeBSD ClamAV port. I skipped 0.102.0 just because of
milter build issue. So I would like to know when 0.102.1 will come.

Best Regards.
Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, November 5, 2019 06:56, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
> Hello Micah,
>

> 2019?10?3???? Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users <
> clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:
>

>> Hi lukn,
>>

>> You're not missing something. It appears that configure changes between
>> ClamAV 0.102.0-rc and 0.102.0 broke building of clamav-milter.
>>

>> We will identify the exact issue and include a fix for it in a 0.102.1
>> patch release along with one or two other bug fixes. I'm sorry for the confusion.
>>

>> Regards
>> Micah
>>

> Would you mind my asking current status of 0.102.1 patch release?
>
> I'm a maintainer of FreeBSD ClamAV port. I skipped 0.102.0 just because of
> milter build issue. So I would like to know when 0.102.1 will come.

Just an FYI.

I was not able to build 102.0 on a FreeBSD 11.3 machine with OpenSSL 1.1.1 installed. Building on a machine with
OpensSL 1.0.x worked fine. I don't use a milter so that was not an issue for me.

John Capo

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Yasuhiro,

Thanks for reaching out. I’m also CC’ing the binary package maintainers mailing list on this reply.

We’d like to have 0.102.1 ready/published next Wednesday, Nov 13th. However, we have at present 12 internal pull-requests targeting both 0.102.1 and dev/0.103 (with some duplicates for 0.101.5) to review/merge before we can publish release materials. At this point it seems unlikely that we’ll be able to publish before November 20th.

The recent distraction caused by activity on Twitter regarding the ability to crash the clambc testing tool with malformed bytecode signatures hasn’t helped any. Fortunately there is no immediate crisis on that topic but we may add the requirement to use the `--trust-unsigned` option with clambc to alleviate concerns for those less informed about how to use ClamAV, and may also add additional warnings regarding the risks of running untrusted bytecode. I cannot comment further on that subject so if you are concerned, please contact Cisco PSIRT for details.

Best,
Micah

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Hello Micah,

> Thanks for reaching out. I’m also CC’ing the binary package maintainers mailing list on this reply.
>
> We’d like to have 0.102.1 ready/published next Wednesday, Nov 13^th. However, we have at present 12
> internal pull-requests targeting both 0.102.1 and dev/0.103 (with some duplicates for 0.101.5) to review/
> merge before we can publish release materials. At this point it seems unlikely that we’ll be able to
> publish before November 20^th.
>
> The recent distraction caused by activity on Twitter regarding the ability to crash the clambc testing tool
> with malformed bytecode signatures hasn’t helped any. Fortunately there is no immediate crisis on that
> topic but we may add the requirement to use the `--trust-unsigned` option with clambc to alleviate concerns
> for those less informed about how to use ClamAV, and may also add additional warnings regarding the risks
> of running untrusted bytecode. I cannot comment further on that subject so if you are concerned, please
> contact Cisco PSIRT for details.

Thank you for reply. I'll wait for release announcement of 0.102.1.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0 [ In reply to ]
Citeren Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>:

> Hello Micah,
>
> From: "Micah Snyder \(micasnyd\) via clamav-users"
> <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>
> Subject: Re: [clamav-users] clamav-milter not being built for 0.102.0
> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 18:19:21 +0000
>
>> Thanks for reaching out. I’m also CC’ing the binary package
>> maintainers mailing list on this reply.
>>
>> We’d like to have 0.102.1 ready/published next Wednesday, Nov
>> 13^th. However, we have at present 12
>> internal pull-requests targeting both 0.102.1 and dev/0.103 (with
>> some duplicates for 0.101.5) to review/
>> merge before we can publish release materials. At this point it
>> seems unlikely that we’ll be able to
>> publish before November 20^th.
>>
>> The recent distraction caused by activity on Twitter regarding the
>> ability to crash the clambc testing tool
>> with malformed bytecode signatures hasn’t helped any. Fortunately
>> there is no immediate crisis on that
>> topic but we may add the requirement to use the `--trust-unsigned`
>> option with clambc to alleviate concerns
>> for those less informed about how to use ClamAV, and may also add
>> additional warnings regarding the risks
>> of running untrusted bytecode. I cannot comment further on that
>> subject so if you are concerned, please
>> contact Cisco PSIRT for details.
>
> Thank you for reply. I'll wait for release announcement of 0.102.1.

There is a trivial patch to fix this if you want to give 0.102.0 a try:

https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-devel/pull/111